Loco Mogul - is there going to be a forum for it?

Found a bug? Then tell us all about it here.

Loco Mogul - is there going to be a forum for it?

Postby Bluevoss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:47 am

Andrew,

First up, thanks for the great game. I really have enjoyed it. Having said that, the only reason I bought it was becuase I love Oasis and love trains. However, in my sixty minute demo, I was rather frustrated trying to figure out what was happening. Oasis really wasn't intutive either, but it comes with a tutorial. LM needs one also, or at least a brief help screen.

Main question - are you going to put up a forum for it?

Other questions -

1) How do you determine how many 'train moves' you get? Is it based on the number of places you link to?

2) How much can you make for moving certain loads? I get that a train loaded with cars to the same destination gets a multiplier. But I'm not sure of the value for picking passengers over coal. Maybe allowing you to right click on them to get a value, right this turn, for moving that cargo to its destination?

3) Love the bandit laugh

4) Any chance for a "random" game? Oasis has the randomized series (the last one) where you play against a set of lands. A single game with the middle-sized engine would be a fun, fast play. Especially if you don't know the land you were running in.

5) I'd love to see more random lands created (maybe for a second group of 10?). Steppes - empty grass and 2 cities, 1 coal, 1 field. Swamp - a number of rivers, trees, one city, lumber mills, lotsa bandits (deliverence?). Urban - a great number of cities, which means a lot of time sensitive cargos.

6) I'd like TNT to be available in cities (other than the first). That way, you can actually go looking for it based off the number clues.

7) How about a "casey jones" helper, who gives you extra train moves.

8) How about a "broker" helper, who lets you buy out investors at a discount on the next map?

These are just some first thoughts. The game has really grown on me and I enjoy playing it. Hope to see more people discovering this thing!
Bluevoss

Postby Bluevoss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:17 am

and...

8) What do you lose if you let a load expire? I think some money vanished when it happened.
Bluevoss

Postby Bluevoss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 am

Cool - my eighth point bacame a sunglasses-dude smily. I was looking at that, going "Wha...?"
Bluevoss

Postby Bluevoss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:26 pm

I just thought of this...

9) I think the way it works is that when you cash in a car, a coin flys up to the top (and your cash value is incremented). How about (so we can tell whats worth what the actual number of coins is shown flying from the car to our cash ballence?
Bluevoss

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:18 pm

All go thoughts I like the extra helper and the broker would be nice.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:31 am

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've been trying to recover from a disk crash this week.

I've added a tutorial to the next version which should have come out this week if not for a hard drive crash.

I've also introduced things more slowly so you have a better chance of understanding what's going on. And to think that I thought of this as my simple game.

I've revamped the help system so that clicking on the waving man will give you an index of help topics.

Yes, I'll put up a forum after the new release.

The number of train moves is based on the amount of time you have to move your train (usually 200 hours). Trains move at 1 square per hour. So its really based on the distance your train moves.

I've added rollover text to show what you'll make by picking up a rail car.

I've expanded the number of levels from 10 to 18. The last 5 are bonus levels that you get by buying out investors.

I'll consider adding a few more given your suggestions. Not sure about the completely random one though.

TNT is always around mountains.

Wow, just looked up Casey Jones. Great story.

Will add your helper ideas to my list. Unfortunately, they're an artist thing.

If one of the bouncing cars goes away then your customer rating goes down by 1 (it goes from 1 to 10). Basically, the shipping rates you charge are based on your customer ratings times the base cost of shipping that type of rail car. Again, the new version will make this clearer.

Ha, you created a smiley by accident.

I also list what you made after delivering a rail car.

thanks for all the comments.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Re: Loco Mogul - is there going to be a forum for it?

Postby steptoe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:05 am

Just downloaded the demo and now getting the annoying out of range for the display on my monitor when I try to run it regardless of what I have tried

Tried dropping the screen resolution right down to 800x600 and also tried 1024x768, I usually run in the monitor preferred 1440x900 32-bit colour

Tried dropping the colour to 16-bit from 32-bit, and running in compatability mode even trying the compatability mode very low resolution settings and trying running in Win98/ME mode

Tried changing the refresh rate to 75, 72, 70 and the usual 60hz I run the monitor at

All give the same 'error' ..... display out of range

I can't find any setting that I can manually change from within some config file or .ini file to force the game to run in a different resolution as all I get is the monitor telling me the display is out of range, which I believe its trying to change mode to something outside its specs so is refusing to change to it

Is there some 'hidden' setting or option to force the game into a user defined resolution. I've had success with this before on another commercial game that refused to run without displaying the 'display out of range' and once I had forced the game to run at a custom resolution so I could change the screen resolution settings I could run it in the default monitor resolution of 1440x900 60hz 32-bit, and that game then ran perfectly at my resolution I set
steptoe

Re: Loco Mogul - is there going to be a forum for it?

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:52 am

Ah, all the reasons I love Windows programming so much. :wink:

It should run without problems on a 1400x900x32bit color, as that's what it was developed in.

Here's what you can try:

If you have Vista: go into the following folder and change the video.ini file to have a 0 in it (if it has a 0, then make it a 1 - Can't remember right now).
Vista folder: c:\ProgramData\ApeZone\Loco Mogul
XP folder: c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/ApeZone/Loco Mogul

This should put the game into window mode.

Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support