Stun "problems" though some are just gripes....

Found a bug? Then tell us all about it here.

Stun "problems" though some are just gripes....

Postby Blackjet » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:18 pm

The adv conversion beams don’t seem to take back any of the charge used in firing. None of the beams seem to hold back energy against a starship when killing it unless it is the AI shooting. This is another problem for us that like controlling ALL aspects of the combat.

I am guessing that if you rescue a ship that lost all of its crew it will still have all of the combat maneuvers? It might not but from various other things in the game it seems probable. I can’t see either way because it is so hard to have you ship lose all crew but not be destroyed!

As mentioned in a previous thread there are some problems with techs relating to jumping. The jump gate and jump drive shouldn’t be removed however but moved to later. Put in a singularity drive and move them to after that. There should also be more wormholes than I ever seem to notice.

In many cases the maximum population doesn’t seem to change as I terraform planets. I don’t know if I’m just crazy but I looking in the manual(I am using it to check everything I say so it isn’t as if I’m just assuming) and it does say they are supposed to.

Scientists on worlds help with research right? Do scientists on ships? They should because they are encountering new things that might help with research. Maybe you could just make a new component that is like a science bay or something that increases, or allows you to still have the same 20%, chance at finding a artifact and also helps with research. It would also give reason to not scrap explorer ships!
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:43 am

I'll look into the conversion beam problem. Code-wise, I don't see why manual attacks would make a difference.

Max pops should increase after terraforming.

Scientists on ships don't help research, just in discovering artifacts. Just because they're scientists doesn't mean they should all be doing the same kind of work. Lots of scientists do non-research related jobs.

Games only have a few wormholes in them. As for jump techs, if I ever create a stun 2, I'll look into limiting their reach or something.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:57 pm

I was saying that scientists on ships should help with research. Even if not directly they still encounter new things that help with the advancement of technology!

Limit the reach of jumps? NO!!!!!
Blackjet

terraforming

Postby tedlongstreth » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:28 am

I can confirm that each level of terraforming ups the max pop of a world by 5, so a type 4 with max pop of 180 can become a type 1 with max pop of 200 in stun 3.x.
While it does seem theoretically plausible that what ships and their scientists encounter in the galaxy might have some effect on the course of research, I suspect making this suggestion work properly would require an amount of coding well out of proportion to its possible improvement of gameplay.
tedlongstreth

Postby Blackjet » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:41 am

though I don't know how this game is coded I think it would be harder to have the ai catch up after you start getting so far ahead because of you worlds are being helped by scouts!
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:36 am

Ted has it right. Too much work for little effect. But it's also not how I want it. Scientists aboard starships cost money but aren't used for researching new techs. They're used for finding artifacts. They take their tools and scientific method to search out a different problem space. This happens in real life all the time. After they explore all the planets, swap them out, changing scientific ships to something else. That's the sacrafice you have to make.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:12 pm

No, no, no you seem to be under the impression that I find that point really important... well I don't. As you can see by the new post I don't care that everyone doesn't like my ideas they don't even "have" to read them now! They are in their own thread that lets them know it is "stupid" or "wrong". LOL :lol:
Blackjet

Return to Tech Support