Battleship Chess Won't Run on Win2k Machine

Found a bug? Then tell us all about it here.

Battleship Chess Won't Run on Win2k Machine

Postby Commander Rackham » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi there!

When I try to run Battleship on my current hand-me-down PC, (college student = no money) I just get a blank menu with no text, or just one or towo letters like a 'p' in the corner or something. The buttons seem to still work- when I click around different blank menus appear- but there's no text. I can close the program just fine; there's no crash or anything. But there's no text while the program is running.

Has anybody seen this before?
Commander Rackham

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:41 pm

I've heard of this once before. I don't think there was anything that could be done but I don't have my notes at the moment. What's the graphics processor in the machine and how much video memory? What version of DirectX is it running. I'd love to solve the problem, assuming you've got a system that meets the specs.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Commander Rackham » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:33 pm

Ugh. Thanks for responding, but you're probably not going to be able to help me, because I don't really know what's in my PC. My uncle is a Dell distrubutor who does 'factory reconditioning'; he just threw together some parts from the scrap pile and handed them to me. But he did give me an actual, shrink-wrapped, gold-sealed Win2k disk.

How, exactly, does one go about discovering one's graphics processor, video memory, and DirectX version, anyway?
Commander Rackham

Postby Jaws » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 am

Hi CR,

Use windows explorer and search for dxdiag.exe and double click on it. The path should be c:\ > WINNT > system32 > dxdiag.exe.

On the first page you'll see what version of dx you have. Then click on display tab to see your video card specs.

Regards,
Jaws

Postby Commander Rackham » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:55 pm

Thanks! I'm gonna go try that.
Commander Rackham

Postby Jaws » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:04 pm

Hi Andrew,

These are my system specs:
------------------
System Information
Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) processor, ~1.3GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
---------------
Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.4109 (English)

I know I'm running a rather old driver version, but I ran into problems with the lastest drivers on such an old video card. These drivers (41.09) handle other games that would be considered much more video card intensive.
-------------
Sound Devices
Description: C-Media PCI

You may remember that I helped with the beta testing of version 1. I had no problems running that version.

Ever since version 2.0 I get either BSOD or CTD. I got kinda discouraged and stopped playing BC. With the latest beta version 2.1, I figured I'd give it another go. I sometimes can't even get out of the setup screen before it will CTD. Other times within a minute of starting a game, it will either CTD or BSOD.

I've try using various screen resolutions, windowed mode, turned off music and sound to no avail. I also disabled , exited or totally shut down all the security software on my machine.

I've heard of this once before. I don't think there was anything that could be done but I don't have my notes at the moment.
Your response to CR doesn't sound promising.

Hope you can help,
Jaws
Jaws

Postby Jaws » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm curious. Anyone that uses win2k pro.

Are you able to run BC without problems?

Thanks,
Jaws
Jaws

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm

I'd be more concerned about your graphics driver. I bought a new computer recently that had an ATI Radeon 9200SE Gold edition graphics card made by Celestica. The driver out of the box didn't run BC. Had to go to the ATI website to download the latest driver to get it to work. I'm not sure why that is but it all depends on what capabilities a game is using.

You may try turning off sound in the game, as I've heard of sound cards causing problems too. If you don't have an audio.ini file in the battleship chess folder then use a text editor and create one. Put 4 lines of 0 in the file and save it (e.g.

Sorry that I don't have a win2k pro machine to test it on.

Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Jaws » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Hey Andrew,

I tried doing the audio.ini for the BC folder, since I already tried turning off the sound per my previous post, after I reinstalled BC. Still would CTD or BSOD.

Then I went to nVidia and downloaded their latest drivers - 78.01 WHQL certified for my system but still no happiness. Thanks for trying.

Oh well, I would still be interested if CR or anybody else has gotten BC to run on a win2k machine.

Regards,
Jaws
Jaws

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:26 am

Hey Jaws, try emailing me and we'll try a few tests.

Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support