high moral ships - ships dont attack

Found a bug? Then tell us all about it here.

Postby dragon_rider » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:11 am

I have a problem with Starship captions having an attack of consonances. My ships have mostly standoff weapons but the same goes for an ship design I find. But I have obliterated all of planets defences with bombardments or spies and then send my ships in to capture or destroy the planet. But they will just stand there and not do anything. They will not attack unless a ship comes in to defend the planet or the planet makes some sort of weapons. And as I have killed most of their people this can take some time. the only way i see around this is if i take command of the ship and tell it to attack.

Also on capturing planets I have gone in alone to take out another planet. Destroyed everything. I am the only ship there. And just as I’m about to move into the final city the planet is taken over by another race. Normally the race that I am allied with. And the race that takes over the planet dose not have clocking technology to hide their ships from me. I was just wondering if that this is a bug or that there is a way of converting the people to your side like spies or something.
dragon_rider

Postby dragon_rider » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 am

I think that i have just worked out the bit about the planet being taken over by another race. i think it has something to do with the uplift alien world artifact
dragon_rider

Postby Insayn » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:04 am

I've seen the first one before. The first one I think is just the game getting mixed up. I haven't figured out the cause and effect that makes this happen, though I think it might have something to do with the ship waiting for the fleet to arrive. Provided there are no enemy ships, the ship will just sit out of range indefinetly.
To fix it I have found just try again. Send the ship to a nearby system and then re-order it to cap/attack the planet.

Second one; I doubt the prob is the uplift artifact. As I understand it, the artifact only works on unclaimed systems(let alone a planet that is already occupied). I donno whats goin on here.

What I would do is send a ship with assault pods to patrol the allies new found planet. Then with out warning declare war and take it back while the planet is still weak and easy capture.
Insayn

Postby dragon_rider » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:30 pm

the conditions for the firse problem i think ive worked out that the person your attacking has nopeople or have no defencive/ofencive weapons. i have a save game where i have beaten down an enemy ship but everything is intact but have killed all the crew. it is still hovering over my world but no one will attack it or even launch assult crews to take over. but i have been able to toew it back to another world where is it waiting to be destroyed or taken over.

but with worlds this problem normaly only happens is i have a ship that is just full of standoffs and no other weapons.

something to try:
start a new game with standoff head start.
create a scout with only standoffs as weapons.
send it out exploring.
soon you will find that the scout will attack every one but not the planets with plant moss (the one that dose not shoot back) also if you send the same ship against an alien world the has no weapons (i pesume ships as well but not tested) about 50 - 100% of the time it will not attack

_

as for the second problem yea i is a good idea to recapture the planet but as the planet in question was the last planet of a race i loose the technology that would have been gained from capturing that planet. so ill would just have to conqure my allies :-) very evil..... I like it
dragon_rider

Postby tabbydan » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:08 pm

Yeah, with enemy ships I've seen that bug under the following conditions:

1) the entire crew of the enemy ship is killed, yet my starships refuse to "see" and capture the enemy vessel (other parts of the game still do recognize it- it shows up when I am on the map screen and I click on that star system).

2) A ship is critically disabled (ie loss of engines), again I have no way of capturing the ship as my crews refuse to "see" it!
tabbydan

Postby PlanetKiller » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:50 am

tabbydan wrote:2) A ship is critically disabled (ie loss of engines), again I have no way of capturing the ship as my crews refuse to "see" it!

I think you can only capture a ship when it has no Generators AND Engines, also if you don't have assault pods on the ship supposed to capture, you must have researched Tractor Beam so the ship can tow the enemy vessel over a planet (that must have assault pods) to capture it, I remember reading it somewhere in the manual.
PlanetKiller

Postby Commander Rackham » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:48 am

You can definitely capture a ship without it needing to lose either its generators or its engines; all you need is for the crew to be dead. As for your ships refusing to engage a derlict vessel, I accidently solved this by telling a ship with assault pods to patrol the system the derlict was in. I think I was at war with the ship's owner at the time, too.
Commander Rackham

Return to Tech Support