Standoffs overpowered against colonies, and in general.

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Postby Terrell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:I think the ability to turn off certain weapon families from the game can be done for the next release. Yes, it's been a long time, but I still want to incrementally improve it and kill some more bugs.

I'm thinking of redoing a Starships Unlimited kind of game where everything can be modded. I'd use a top down look to allow easy addition of starship graphics. I'm itching to do another starship combat game.

Cool, will be great to see more customization, and bugs squashed, especially that annoying engine bug. Can't wait to see the next installment of StUn, or another game like it. (will likely buy a CD with both games as soon as I'm aware of them being out)
Terrell

Postby Thesis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:I'm itching to do another starship combat game.

Yay!
Thesis

Postby Mischief Maker » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Don't forget to add the option to play the game in a window!
Mischief Maker

Postby smokem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Standoffs are physically much larger than say missiles or torps. I would think that making them about 5% easier to hit would make sense.

The option to disable a family of weapons is awsome.
smokem

Postby sole33 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 am

maybe have some kind of anti-standoff component similar to the way standoffs work, but with twice the ammo per component and only taking up one slot, but it could only target standoff missles? it could be exchanged for the defensive standoffs component since there are plenty of alternatives (defensive missles, torps and what not, all pretty much the same thing it seems)

i agree standoffs can completely own pretty much anything given the right numbers of them, but i would hate to see them go, they just need a countermeasure.
sole33

Postby Insayn » Fri May 16, 2008 11:52 pm

I'll be the devils advocate, sole33, and suggest beefing up the damage standoffs inflict. I mean, if you do go with standoffs, you take the good with the bad. The guy with the defensive weapon that can pretty much negate your primary weapon has an overwhelming advantage. Especially considering that dedicated standoff, missile, and torpedo ships have to sacrifice a lot of generator, shield, and armor slots to make room for those weapons.

It is true non energy weapon ships usually win a battle of attrition; their weapons fire as long as there is ammo. Imagine fighting a battle which you have low energy production, minimal shields and your primary weapon is useless. And there is nothing you can do about it.
Insayn

Postby Orishnu » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:47 pm

well i have to admit i haven't read all the posts yet, but thesis's post on page one about having new tech that hacks the guidance system i think is an awesome idea. Give it something like 30-40% chance (maybe need to tweak numbers, i don't know). Basically, standoffs are so powerful that they need a large weakness. So they are still super powerful, but that have large risk associated with them.
Orishnu

Postby Gyrant » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Personally I dislike Standoffs for two reasons:
1 - They have a whole raft of advantages and little other than space as a down.
Also, the 'missile' family has the Missiles being the powerful pinpoint weapon while the longer range Torpedoes are weaker area weapons, but Standoffs have better range, better arcs, and more power than either.
It just doesn't *feel* right. There needs to be something else make you stop and think about wether Standoffs are 'worth it'. :?
2 - They constantly pause the battle with messages telling you standoff a is attacking ship b, which is annoying as heck because you can see whats going on anyway :P

Possible means of 'balancing' Standoffs:

- Reduce accuracy as range increases.
- Make the weapon take 3 slots, but add a bit more ammo.
- Allow computer levels and/or stealth tech to reduce accuracy.
- Slow down fire rate - currently a single standoff launcher can drop 3 missiles in a single turn which is pretty overpowered considering they're so powerful and almost always hit.
- Have them require a target be 'locked' for a given length of time before every shot.

[edit]

- Allow only 1 standoff to be 'in flight' from any given ship for every computer the ship has.
Gyrant

Postby Insayn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 am

I was just playing THIS game and during the battle this thread came to mind. Heh-ha HA. Torpedoes completely massacred this invading standoff happy fleet.
Insayn

Postby Terrell » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Insayn wrote:I was just playing THIS game and during the battle this thread came to mind. Heh-ha HA. Torpedoes completely massacred this invading standoff happy fleet.

Torpedos are pretty nasty, but I could see how a human controlled fleet with standoffs can beat a computer controlled fleet with torps. This assumes that the torp bearing ships aren't technologically superior to the Standoff ships, that the torp ships don't have the superiorty of numbers, and the standoff ships are well designed. (they don't go so standoff heavy that they don't have room for shields, armor, gens, and an alternate weapon)

The stand-off ships should keep their distance, and lob standoffs either at the planet, or focus on beating the defending ships one at a time. If you have 6 ships with standoffs attacking the same number of ships I think if you focus on one ship at a time, you should be able to overwhelm the ships point defenses, provided the ship isn't heavily point defended. You might run out of standoffs, if so then you have to finish the remaining ships with your secondary weapon. In which case you should have your ships gang up on one target at a time, starting with the ship you think is the most dangerous.

I often use standoffs and beams together. and on larger ships like Destroyers and Crusiers, Fighters, Standoffs, and Beams. I don't load up on Standoffs though, at most a ship would have 2 standoff launchers.
Terrell

Re: Standoffs overpowered against colonies, and in general.

Postby nemo69 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:58 am

For every weapon, there is a counter tech. Standoff's counter is the cloak. The AI doesn't develop cloak detectors until you first use them in combat. If I see them the AI use standoffs I devote extra resources to developing the cloaking techs. If the AI researches standoffs as their primary weapon, hope that they don't hit you early in the game with them.
nemo69

Previous

Return to Starships Unlimited