If you make a new ship pack I would pay for it!

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Re: If you make a new ship pack I would pay for it!

Postby Insayn » Thu May 28, 2009 11:05 pm

I didn't make the model. The artist that made it is:
Coxxon
coxxon@suddenlink.net
I just am just using his model and capturing the images to make the sprites in STUN.
If you want to thank anyone it would be him.
Insayn

Postby Insayn » Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 pm

Anyway, It would be illegal and immoral for me to accept payment for that ship. Also naive of you to pay for it. ;)
Also, in my interpretation of your post you wanted a ship "pack" which would constitute 12 complete ship types.

The battlestar ship is freely available for us to use . As long as we give credit to coxxon for using his ship and don't sell it.
That said...

If any of you want to try your hand at making ships for stun you will at the least need Anim8or Read the "readme" file in the data zip file ape provided with the game. It is located in the "/data" folder in the stun directory.

After reading the "how to make ships" section you will have learned you will have to use a 3D modeling program(anim8or) to capture 16 images. You will also need a model of a ship. You can use the BattleStar model I am playing with. The ".an8" file is the one(open that with anim8or). The bitmap pictures are just the image captures I used to make the sprite for the game.
In anim8or you will have to set the camera angle and lighting just right for it to look good in the game. That is where I am so far. I actually had to play with the model a lot to get to that stage in the .an8 file.

I got the original file from Here

Once you get the camera and lighting right, you capture an image of the ship as it rotates in place once every 22.5 degrees.
Always export as a bitmap file and not a jpeg. Jpegs are compressed low memory, but really crappy quality format for image files. It will make the ship have a black fuzz around the edges.

Finally You will need to (tediously) convert all those .bmp captures you just took into .tga files. The standalone best program for that is Irfanview. You can use just the keyboard using hot keys and quickly make tga copies of all of those in no time. Right arrow, Ctrl-R, 128, enter, s,enter,right arrow, Ctrl-R, 128, enter, ect......The first one you establish what format you want to convert to (bmp to tga) and the save location.

Once that is done you just use the tga2sh and sh2shp programs provided with the game to make the ship for the game.
Insayn

Postby Beserko » Sat May 30, 2009 10:34 pm

actually I was thinking of paying you to make me a ship pack since Andrew seems to be on hiatus. I'd love a warhammer type pack with scout, frigate, cruiser ect! I loaded Amin8or but I'm a bit overwhelmed by it.The graphics don't change the game, just how I feel abot it. Oh an thanks for your honesty! :)
Beserko

Postby Thesis » Sun May 31, 2009 5:18 am

I find the bitmap format unwieldly. If you prefer to work in jpeg; I understand Irfan View has some limited editing capability, but I can't remember if you need to install the plug-ins.
If you press F12, then a paint dialog shows up (or Edit=>Show Paint Dialogue) (if not, then find and install the plug-ins that enable this feature). The Paint menu has the trusty paint bucket tool, set the tolerance to between 5-20%, and you can remove the fuzz (alias). Set the tolerance to 0% and paint the background white to assess how much fuzz there is left. This will help give feedback on how high to set the tolerance.
Irfan View can do all the rest of the stuff, like cropping and all that. No need for expensive software anymore.
Thesis

Postby Thesis » Sun May 31, 2009 5:25 am

Insayn wrote: Finally You will need to (tediously) convert all those .bmp captures you just took into .tga files. The standalone best program for that is Irfanview. You can use just the keyboard using hot keys and quickly make tga copies of all of those in no time. Right arrow, Ctrl-R, 128, enter, s,enter,right arrow, Ctrl-R, 128, enter, ect......The first one you establish what format you want to convert to (bmp to tga) and the save location.

You can just batch convert right?
Thesis

Postby Insayn » Sun May 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Thesis wrote:You can just batch convert right?

I didn't know irfanview could do that. Cool, that will save a lot of work. :D

Thesis wrote:I find the bitmap format unwieldly.

I don't know what you mean by "unwieldly" Unless you mean that they take up more memory. My main gripe about jpg's is they loose quality everytime you save them. Even if you try saving with 100% quality. Normally not a problem, but with these the back ground has to be perfect 0,0,0 black or the ship looks like crap. And with bitmap you don't have to go back with every image and "fix" the back ground to eleminate the fuzz.
Insayn

Postby Thesis » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Insayn wrote: I don't know what you mean by "unwieldly" Unless you mean that they take up more memory.

Exactly. It's very 1990's of me to gripe about it, don't you think? From an editing perspective however, you are right, bitmap is king.
Thesis

Postby Beserko » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:52 pm

ok guys .......... But , can we get a new ship pack or a ship pack editor?
Beserko

Previous

Return to Starships Unlimited