The Next apezone game..

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

The Next apezone game..

Postby Insayn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 am

I think the next game from apezone should be a single, and multi-player game like stun and BC.

Basically use the stun engine for starship combat, which is a stand alone game in itself. The game would be a lot like BC, but combat is mostly like STUN, but a lot better.

Of course instead of ancient naval ships we have starships, but they fight on a 2-D plane like in STUN. Ships fight on a 2-D plane in BC too, but it is agonizingly slow compared to STUN. I'm trying to be brief so I won't go into the obvious differences between STUN and BC combat.

This new game should be a pure Starship combat game. Based on the STUN engine. The single player part has a campaign and instant combat modes like your typical combat flight simulator.
You either set up or choose a preset combat senarios and the ship or ships you will be commanding. The combat itself is just like from a STUN game, just better. Again there is campaign and instant fight modes.

Then once your through with the pathetic AI you can fight REAL people online with multiplayer. I won't go out of my way to describe it. Everyone has though about playing STUN in multiplayer. Just forget the 4 and the X. The heart of the game is 1 ship vs 1 ship = winner.
Insayn

Postby Soulmage » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 am

You know what would REALLY be cool, kinda along those lines.

I don't know if anybody remembers the ORIGINAL Star Control game. It had a rotating 3d field of stars that the players fought over. Combat was settled with individual starship duels using the very engaging combat engine that was reserved for Star Control II.

That was an OUTSTANDING game. The I don't remember there being much to the ownership of stars. I think maybe they gave you some resources points or something to buy new ships.

Anyway, its kinda similar to what you mention and I would LOVE to see a game like that made!

. . . . figures there's a web community about SC:

Here are some screen pics:
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamesp ... 1scr.shtml
Soulmage

Postby Thesis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:49 pm

I would really love to see a multiplayer game featuring the StUn combat engine with each player controlling a single ship in battle (like a starship captain). I wouldn't mind waiting my turn online as long as I get the challenge of facing human players!
Thesis

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm thinking about doing this game, but I'd use my latest, 2D engine (the one created for my soon to be released Loco Mogul game).

I'm thinking of a true top-down view so that users can easily create their own ship classes. Making it a true, user moddable game.

What would be cool if there was an offline component where you build a fleet, research some techs, maybe even create your own techs, and then meet others in a battle. The tactical maneuvers would have to be a bit longer than what they currently are in Stun and firing would be handled by the rules you set up. You'd maneuver your fleet, the opponents would do the same and when everyone has submitted their turn, a segment of the battle would unfold. Repeat until there's a winner. Allowing players to ally themselves would be cool too.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Starman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 pm

That would be cool to play.

I like the off line part for, call it game maintenance, building ships, research, building planetary defense's & weapons and so on.

Then when you run into someone or into a planet the on-line part comes in and you plot out your moves and then see the results. If you used the basic starting screen in STUN you could then contact another race / person to make deals / setup allies and so on from the diplomacy screen. You have all the screens interfaces you need already in STUN just make them more interactive using both of the off-line & on-line features.

The more I think about this the cooler it's getting !!!!
Starman

Postby Thesis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 am

Dear Andrew,
When you say that "The tactical maneuvers would have to be a bit longer than what they currently are in Stun..." do you mean that the time taken for each maneuver is longer, or what?

Also, it's a long shot but will there be an option to record battle sequences for later analysis by players?
Thesis

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm not looking to reuse any of the STUN interface. I'd hope that I learned from that. ;)

I don't know if I want to make the battle part as free flow as running into an enemy results in an online combat session. Instead, I'd like some preset battles, where each side has some time to develop things in their own backyard to spring on their enemies. It may be a sort of offline minigame where you explore your own cluster of stars, build up your worlds, research new things, and design new weapons and starships. This is all TBD.

The game would center on the tactical combat aspect of STUN. I'd try to fit some of the other stuff in if it makes sense.

I'm thinking of expanding the maneuvers because in a multi-player game, you'd select all your ship maneuvers off-line as well as what to target and when everyone is ready, everyones commands would happen simultaneously. If I make the maneuvers too short then it becomes a bit too repetitive in having to wait during a multi-player match. Maybe doubling the length of a maneuver. Its just about getting a time segment where enough happens, but not so much that you feel that your not in control anymore.

I'd like to try to get a game were you can design your own ships and weapons to some extent. The first battle might completely blow away one side. But in future battles, they should be able to come up with some counter technology. You would have after-battle reports on how your ships did and to see what's working and what needs improvement.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Curious_George » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:37 pm

an
Last edited by Curious_George on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curious_George

slots

Postby adidagger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

The ships and worlds should have free slots like in STUN. On the begining every1 have 1 world & 40 free slots.The player could designe a super-ship whit 40 slots or 4 small ships whit 10 slots, 2 whit 20, or use 10 free slots for building an orbital defending station (who don't need a rocket drive) and the rest is used to build ships.
Maybe the no. of slots are increasing whit every new colonised or invaded new world... just ideas.
Tnks.
adidagger

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:19 am

I was thinking of using weights iso slots. This might give more flexible layouts.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions