Loco Mogul first campaign

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

Loco Mogul first campaign

Postby Mangudai » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:22 pm

I just bought the game and completed the first full campaign with a score of
$1373,452. It was a lot of fun. The tutorial is good. Everything is fairly easy to learn. The manual is reasonably complete. It's a very simple game, which is nice for people who like a game snack.

My main criticism is that the game is too easy. Higher difficulty levels would be nice. I think raising the cost of Old Smokey, and some of the investors would be appropriate.
Mangudai

Postby Bluevoss » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 am

Yes, I love the game too. Bought it the moment it came out (before there even was a manual). Boy, did I flounder. Now it makes sense.

Yes, I agree that there probably needs to me more things added to make it even more difficult. Had some ideas (we can use this thread to give Andrew more - sure he wants that - nothing like coming up with ideas that you don't have to code, right?)

Idea 1) Water towers. You click on track, you get a station. Now, you click on a station, you get a water tower (cost $500). The heavier the train, the faster it uses water (the number of squares it can go) - cricket = 100, green = 75, smokey = 50. To refuel, you just need to go to that station and click it (if there is a car there, I suppose it could ask if you want to fill water or add the car). So, the bigger the train, the more the overhead.

Idea 2) Impassible squares (swamp). You can't get across these, nohow.

Idea 3) Skill level. The higher the skill level, the harder each map gets. More skill level means more swamps, mountains, bandits, and less TNT and wood. Maybe this could be only in sandbox mode?

Anyone else got some ideas on this?

Great game!
Bluevoss

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 am

Glad you like the game. It really is meant for a light snack. You wouldn't believe how many people have found the game hard to play. Have you reached the bonus levels yet? Adding the solid gold cars make it harder to pick up cars before they leave. You need to play a few games to get a good idea of how it plays.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Bluevoss » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Well, its a great game, just like Oasis. Good tool for a guy like me who freelance writes in the evening. I can kick out a couple of paragraphs, and when I grind to a halt, can play a few games. Then I'm ready to go back to work.

Yes, the solid gold cars to make for an interesting change. I have to rethink how I do things - lots of stations means lots of places for cars to come in and out. Maybe its best (with high-dollar cars) to have a short line that dosn't take in everything.

Now that I think about it, I'm wondering (in those cases when you have a single city way off in the corner) if its worth running over there at all. Seems like the amount of "hours" you'll pick up for the place is offset by the trips you might have to make to it. I think the best bang comes from single stations that service multiple industries.

I'm going to have to give that a try.

Great game. I'm totally happy with it.
Bluevoss

Postby Mangudai » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:10 pm

I love the game. Yes I figured out how to get the bonus levels by paying off investors right away. My new high score is 1.6 million. My first few campaigns I struggled to provide service to all points, and make big loops. I've found it's more profitable to not serve distant points, and keep loops short with a few spurs.

My current struggle is deciding whether to pick up cars right away, or to leave patient cars waiting for a while. Since the early cars pay less, letting them wait slows down the appearance of high paying cars. But, sometimes it's necessary to let them wait in order to get the perfect service bonus. I guess it's a complicated max/min problem, and using heuristics is where the fun comes in.

I've noticed that the investors typically ask for less money in higher levels. Maybe they should ask for more money as time goes on.

I've never seen the banker card.
Mangudai

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:36 am

Glad to hear your enjoying the game. I don't think I've ever reached 1.6 million.

Actually, only one investor may ask for less money as the levels go on, well, he asks for a random amount of cash each round.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Bluevoss » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 pm

The game has got a lot of neat spin to it. Orignally, I thought that once I got cash, I should connect everything, evertime. Now, like Mang, I don't go after single far-away stations. Too hard to service, and a single run out there more than offsets the operational gain.

Furthermore, I've learned that after I pick off a car, I'll carefully make a short hop or two on my way to the dropoff. Nothings worse than having a slot left open and clicking to run across the map, only to have a great car appear right in your path and you flash past. Its a true "Doh!" moment.

Only last night did I notice you can tell how much cars are worth. Nice touch.

I've gotten a banker a couple of times. Got him in sandbox last night, even.
Bluevoss

Return to General Discussions