What's "Operation Seastorm"?

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

What's "Operation Seastorm"?

Postby ianmah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:04 am

Title says it all. Found it in a shop, and saw "Apezone" (and some others) on the backside.
The screenies on the back look a lot like battleship chess, but with 650Mb of required diskspace I think it has to be something else...

edit:
Now that's funny, called "Operation Seastorm", but is Battleship Chess 2.2, no key, no disc required after installation, and the 650Mb diskspace are reduced to 100Mb in the readme-file, manual in german...
I hope Andy (or Mr. Ewanchyna, or the creator of my favourite game STUN) gets some of the money.
ianmah

Postby Thesis » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:20 am

Yeah, a quick google and I found this:
http://www.amazon.de/Atari-Operation-Seastorm/dp/B001802XF6

Is this what you are talking about? Seems a weird way to enter the European market.
Thesis

Postby Thesis » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:22 am

Shivers you're right, there's even a screenshot and it's a spitting image of BC!!
Thesis

Postby ianmah » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 am

Yep, the amazon-link is it.
It's totally BC 2.2, the exe is actually called bc.exe...

Why on earth did they rename it to Operation Seastorm?
ianmah

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Oh, ya, forgot about that one. Sold the German rights and they renamed it Operation Seastorm.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby ianmah » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 am

Thanks for explaining.

But I still wonder, why they had to rename it. "Battleship Chess" describes the game way better than the name they chose. Germans... :P
But we love our northern neighbours :wink:
ianmah

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

Don't know why they changed it. It was about midway through the localization process that they requested the new name. Is the new name even in German? Why go with an English name again?

Are you from Federerland?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby ianmah » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 am

Nope. Title is in English, "Operation Seastorm", although the ingame-menus are all in German.
And the description on the backside of the cover is, hrm, lets say, a wee bit missleading...

"Take control over the largest fleets ever seen in the world and prove all your tactical skills in monumental battles. Take charge over dozens of destroyers, submarines, cruisers, weapon-systems and expandable technologies in this maritime strategy-hit."
As already mentioned, under systemrequirements, they ask vor 650MB of free disk-space...

Nope the 2nd, I'm Austrian (if Federerland means Switzerland and its tennis player), which explains my rather bad English.

btw: BC is just as addictive as STUN :D
Fits perfect, as I've got the flu, lie around at home, notebook, tissues, FIRE!
ianmah

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Wow, did they ever over do it!

I would have mentioned an Austrian tennis player if I could have thought of one. Muller?

I'm glad your enjoying the game. I look forward to doing another naval game.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions