Infocom - Infocom Tangent started in General Discussion

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

Postby EBTG » Mon Aug 20, 2001 8:51 am

Allo,

Amygdala said:
"EBTG, that sounds cool. I have the Infocom compilation on CD, but never got around to playing Sorcerer. (I heard it was really tough.) I bought it to play Zork Zero and The Lurking Horror, which were excellent."

Considering that it had nothing to do with SU, I thought I'd bring it over to this forum.

Out of the whole series (Enchanter, Sorcerer, Spellbreaker) Sorcerer is of medium complexity, with Enchanter being easy, and conjurer being difficult (if I remember correctly).

When I was a kid, I simply adored that whole series, it was the best. In fact, I played as many infocom games as I could.

It's sad, I don't really have the same awe and wonderment as I used to when I play adventure games now. (However, the Last Express was REALLY cool, the whole real time aspect was amazing. In fact a lot about that game was great).
EBTG

Postby Trailer Park Jawa » Sat Sep 08, 2001 10:38 am

I think the sense of wonderment and awe has died out for most of us who played many of the "classic" games on the 80's. Games back then were new and fresh.

Anyhooo, I think my favorite of the Infocom series was Planetfall. I felt really bad what happened to Floyd towards the end. I remember thinking I was oh so clever for deciphering the language on the planet. :-)

You can find Zork I out on the web, it has been released to the public. I liked Zork quite a bit too.

Another interesting one was Suspended. You controled the robots each of whom had a different sense. I never finished that one. There was one puzzle towards the end I never figured out. One of the robots would get eaten away by acid, if I remember correctly.
Trailer Park Jawa

Postby Wyzak » Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:38 pm

Oh, man, Suspended was the best. I learned to type whilst playing Zork I (CPM86 revision) and Suspended... lemme tell you. On newer computers, I miss the grinding noises that the disk drives made when something important happened. Your imagination really added great significance to access times....

BTW there is a walkthrough posted on the internet for Suspended. The last few moves don't make much sense though, and the victory is kinda hollow. But it might be worth your while to try it. The techno feel alone was incredible.
Wyzak

Return to General Discussions