This cant be bad... - Just cause I like to brag...

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

Postby Site Manager » Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:01 pm

I dont get it... You say that if you try to make people happy they will try back?! That is not true... I tried to live your way for a long while, and I got no where and got nothing. I had family... then they stopped loving me and supporting me and made me live on my own. I had freinds... Then they stole my buisness and destroyed my life. I helped others until I had nothing left. I tried my absolute hardest to do the right things for OTHERS and I got used and abused. I stoped living that way a long time ago and now I just work for me. I am still poor I still dont have freinds and still no-one loves me, but you know what, nothing has changed from before except the fact that I am having some fun. I still suffer through each day working odds and ends just to survive, but everyday or any day I can come home and do what I want when I want. I say who cares about other people. What I want is to be smart enough to get a better life and to be rich and famous would just improve it even more. If I was as smart as some of you guys I could enjoy all of my life. I could make games like andrew and do what I want, or I could write books, or paint, or take photos for national geographic. I just dont get how you people can be happy living your lives for others. You have so much potential but you choose to waste it on someone else. I can only wish I had what you guys have... but if I did have it my life would be perfect.
Site Manager

Postby Sith4dmin » Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:39 pm

Your family "stopped loving (you) and supporting (you) and made (you) live on your own"? Now, I don't know your exact circumstances, but based on what you've told me so far, support ends you know. Parents can't provide you with everything indefinitely, but that has nothing to do with love, it has to do with the fact that parents plan for supporting two people in retirement, not three.

As for helping othres until you've nothing left... that's foolishness. You help people when you can never more. The greatest service in fact may be to deny others aid to achieve a better position later in life to give more people aid than would otherwise be possible.

It sounds like to me you didn't plan ahead, and were played for a sucker to boot. In both cases, I'm sorry to say, it's clearly your fault. I could be wrong, of course, but this is the only conclusion I can find based on what you have told me.
Sith4dmin
Site Admin

Postby EBTG » Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:14 am

Allo SM,

"I dont get it... You say that if you try to make people happy they will try back?! That is not true... "

Sadly, you're correct. Actually, in my post, the only time I alluded to that was with myself and my wife, but that's a conscious decision on our parts.

The argument for not being selfish was more so that you aren't a jerk, improving your social skills and thus getting more people to like you.

Doesn't necessarily entail that they will be unselfish to you back though! :)

Sorry to bring up my wife again, but where she works, kindness paid out definitely does not guarantee kindness paid back. In fact, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that people will like you either!

I was trying to give reasons for not being selfish from a foundation of "advancing one's self".

But, I cannot tell you how to live your life, nor what to change, mainly because I don't know you nor your situation. Thus I could blame you, I could blame the people around you, I could blame your upbringing, I could just blame the US ( :) ), but I simply don't know, and quite frankly, I'm not a counsellor, and am in no authoritative trained position to act as such.

So my arguments are just that, arguments. Living one's life is MUCH more involved than just being "unselfish", and your interpretation of that word is probably completely different from mine.

"If I was as smart as some of you guys I could enjoy all of my life."

Well, not necessarily. Althought some would disagree with me, intelligence is not a necessary ingredient in the recipe for contentment.

"I could make games like andrew "

*laugh* Making games is a long, tedious, and almost thankless job. In fact, the professions you've listed are not exactly ones that would garner you much fame and fortune. (Unless you're very lucky!) If those are things which make you happy, there may be more to life than the three criteria you've given! :)

"I just dont get how you people can be happy living your lives for others. "

*laugh* You don't know me for one. You don't really know how I live, my passions, struggles, beliefs, except from what I write. I wouldn't expect you to know.

"You have so much potential but you choose to waste it on someone else. "

*ROFL* Even funnier, but then again we have different "foundations", belief systems. To you it seems like waste, but if your goal is to advance yourself, I would assume it would be towards contentment and happiness, not exactly to knowledge, fame and fortune. i.e. they're the means, but not the end.

So, if I am content, why would it be a waste?

Of course, does this mean that I don't want to be rich? No, not at all, but it's not a goal in life. If I become rich, great! If I don't, who cares. My job doesn't really cater to me being rich (but it does make me comfortable, so I can't complain). Fame, I don't really desire. Knowledge is fun! (relatively anyways).

So, under my belief system, it isn't a waste. But even under your belief system, it isn't a waste.
EBTG

Postby HoundDog » Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:14 pm

here is a quote i heard a while ago.

We are all things to all people at diffrent times.

pick that apart when you get a chance.
HoundDog

Postby Site Manager » Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:11 pm

Well Sith I'm talking about age ten or so when they stopped caring. I had to babbysit to get anything I wanted. The only thing they provided me with was a roof over my head. Even that changed though, once I was sixteen I had to start paying rent.
Site Manager

Postby PoonPalace » Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:22 pm

heres my fav quote
*cough cough*
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?
PoonPalace

Previous

Return to General Discussions