Space Stratagy games - whats your favorite?

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

Postby Eros935 » Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:53 am

Anything from multiplayer,online to single whatta ya like?
for me was Stellar Emperor, #### of a steep learning curve and was SERIOUSLY hard what with all the other people that knew what they was doing but DANG it was fun when you got the hang of it
Eros935

Postby alexpicard » Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:59 pm

no its Graal http://www.graalonline.com
if you go and download the game go online and look for alexpicard - thats my nick or alexTOS and ill help you on some quests. its like Zelda but better graphics and sound plus be a saint or be a player killer!

and also Starfleet command 2 multiplayer
alexpicard

Postby Sith4dmin » Mon Jun 25, 2001 7:38 pm

Alex, didn't you notice the topic was specifically asking opionions of Space Strategy games, not RPGs?Not only that, but Graal looks very lame, even for an RPG (which is a genre I have never enjoyed anyway, so consider me biased). Anyway, enough of being off topic, for both of us.

As for space strategy, I don't know really, I never seem to enjoy any of them for very long. I'll pick one up, play it very intensively for a few weeks or at best couple months, and then get bored and drop it. So has it been with (in chronological order) Spaceward Ho!, Stars!, Alpha Centauri, Birth of the Federation, StarFleet Command (which is placed better in the subgenre Space Action Strategy), and Starships Unlimited. (Yes, it too has seen a sad lack of activity lately.) If I had to pick a favorite from those, it would probably be Alpha Centauri, which isn't even really space strategy so much as general scifi, but it had the best diplomacy system. The AI players seemed a lot more real.
Sith4dmin
Site Admin

Postby Eros935 » Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:33 am

Rpgs are fun but the replay value is kinda low, how many times can you play the same storyline over and over again, thats why I like games that have a certain randomness to them like stun where do don't know where your gonna start out, who your gonna be placed near,what kinda special advantages they have, you get the point.
Eros935

Postby Soldier Of Fortune » Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:40 am

Alex, I played that game before all the P2P crap, all the free servers are corrupt, not really a game worth playing anymore.
Soldier Of Fortune

Postby Praetor Ryan » Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:53 pm

Space strategy games, will reach their best when, they merge with the ground combat, factor of many RTS games, If your looking for a good game, I suggest Ascendency, it will entertain you for awhile, a week or two at most, but is a fun run, and very old by the way 95 eeep. But graphics are not lame at all.

Anywho I hope to make a space strategy game, one day, I keep writing the options, and features, and ideas needed, and all told, I have over 300 pages on the matter, (Absolutelly no programming stuff, all brain storming and options and cool stuff like slavery, and taking a species as say a Protectorate of your bigger self, ie protect the little guy !)

I unfortunatelly, have overextended the actual feasabillity, I mean how do you expand from Just out of the evolutionary soup to conquering, the entire universe (I hope to be 1000 galaxies, but mor elike 100 each galaxy at least 1000 systems)

I could make a big universe, but to process I would have to cut out alot of Ground terrain factors I liked. Ie each RTS battle map = 1 tile on a world, world has 100 tiles. Now just how do u control 100's of armies on thousands of battle fields, AI just aint up to the challenge of doing it for you, so bleh lots of editing needs to be done.
Praetor Ryan

Postby Sith4dmin » Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:18 am

Heh, I too am designing a strategy game, and I'm part of dev team to do it too, but everything else is classified. We're not letting anything leak.

Also, if you want space strategy with ground combat, play Imperium Galactica II. I thought they handled it fairly well, with exchanges between space and surface defences as well as tank vs tank combat with space fire support... all in stunning 3D.
Sith4dmin
Site Admin

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:15 am

I thought about givin Imperium Galacta II a shot, but never got around to picking it up... guess I'll just wait for the bargin bin.

ed: No is did NOT mean licking, that was a finger slip.

(Edited by Vaaish at 4:38 pm on June 29, 2001)
Vaaish

Postby Eros935 » Fri Jun 29, 2001 12:00 pm

heh I've looked at it a few times but I'm broke atm but I might check it out
Eros935

Postby Wyzak » Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:50 pm

As far as space stuff, really the only thing I've had time to give consideration to other than STUN is Battletech. Alas, Battletech is really just armored combat, even if it is in a scifi setting. So maybe it doesn't apply to this topic.
Wyzak

Postby Sith4dmin » Sat Jun 30, 2001 12:53 am

I got mine (IG2) used at EB months ago, but I didn't play it because it kept crashing my system. Now that I have a new 3D Prophet 4500 and updated every #### driver on my system and downloaded all their patches (you really have to do it anyway because the release version doesn't come with skirmish mode, that comes in a patch, and it really is the game for me), it runs rock solid for days at a time.
Sith4dmin
Site Admin

Postby vmxa1 » Sat Jun 30, 2001 7:02 pm

IG2 was worth one play through to me. The space battles can be a pain as the scale made seeing small fighters real hard. I mostly let the game handle it, but that reduces its appeal.
vmxa1

Postby DEF DFA SST » Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:41 am

I played only 1 Space Combat/Strategy game and it's called " StarShip Troopers: BattleSpace " at Gamestorm.com and on AOL.

It's a MultiPlaying game loosely based on NETREK ( http://www.netrek.org ) . We paid บ.00 a month for unlimited hours of play.

If you wanna see some screenshots, visit my Fan Site at:

StarShip Troopers: BattleSpace

(Edited by DEF DFA SST at 5:14 am on July 26, 2001)
DEF DFA SST

Postby Praetor Ryan » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:04 pm

Planetarion Planetarion Planetarion

Best online (free) game there is
Praetor Ryan

Postby Eros935 » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:28 pm

lol I don't like gamestorm anymore, not since they got rid of LOK, but if you was on gamestorm back long enough ago you ever play a game called stellar emperor?
Eros935

Next

Return to General Discussions