Star Trek vs Star Wars vs Babylon 5 - Easy.. it is B5 of course.

For things not related directly to ApeZone games. Discuss, debate, but do it in good taste.

Postby Praetor Ryan » Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:38 am

well dont we all ?
Praetor Ryan

Postby cv » Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:13 pm

Star Wars is probably one of the worst stories I have ever consumed. The only thing that made it successful was its special effects. Now that CGI is commonplace, SW is exposed for the weak story it is. The technology and the magic presented in this story are contradictory and inconsistant at best. It is fine for a kids movie, but there are so many plot holes it is not worth analyzing. I do not consider it to be science fiction at all. It is only lumped into that category because fantasy fans do not want it. I really do not want to offend anyone's taste. I watch plenty of worthless shows that could be critisized. If SW is your guilty pleasure then go for it. Enjoy. I only ask that you please refrain from pretending that it is a well thought out science fiction epic.

Shows like StarTrek, B5, Battlestar Gallactica seem to be a mixed bag of good and bad stories. I imagine that writers get hired/fired all the time and that what affects the show. Working within the constraints of TV must kill the creative spirit.

The best SciFi is still only available in books.

regards
cv

Postby Jdemacek » Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:48 pm

In Babylon 5's case, that wasnt so.. JMS was firmly in the control of the writing. He did bring in help though. One of what I would consider the grandmasters of Science fiction, Harlen Ellison, was on the shows creative team.
Even though I have seen most episodes twice, I still watch them on the Sci-Fi channel.
Jdemacek

Postby SnowQuake » Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:23 pm

YO!! CV, why do you think StarWars sucks????? Its an awesome story. Of course, almost all the sentient species are humanoid, and its somewhat self centered around good vs. evil, though, exterior writers have changed that. And what plot holes. The plot was the winner. The effects just helped a bit. Theres no effects in the books, and thier just as good as the movies. Okay, whatever. But why pick on StarWars huh? The next episodes out in 02, you gonna miss it?
SnowQuake

Postby cv » Thu Aug 02, 2001 8:41 am

Sucks is not the word I used and I probably will watch the next episode on tape/dvd. As far as the story goes it is just my taste, so there is no defense of that. The plot on the other hand is riddled with inconsistencies. The limits of the force are poorly defined. The late introduction of midichloreans(sp?) seems like a quick patch. The role of Jabba and the 'gangsters' on Tatooine is pure filler. The personality types of alien races is close to vaudevillian. The strategies employed by the empire are curious at best. I won't go on anymore. I am sure that many people disagree with the above. My point is not to pick on StarWars. It simply is not a science fiction title because there is very little science. It should be called a space fantasy because that is a very good description of it. I like fantasy and science fiction equally but it is hard to compare shows that are clearly trying to incorporate science into a story and SW which only uses gadgets as cheap props. Think about the light sabre. It might be useful to an asteroid miner, but not much use as a weapon. What about the robot army of the trade feds? Jedi and non-Jedi alike kicked them to the curb. The destroyer droids were so much more valuable than them I wouldnt spend one credit on those idiot bi-beds. Why do you need them to drive tanks anyway? Cant those big yellow hover tanks take orders from the mother ship without a worthless stick figure? Well you get the idea- I value it as entertainment, but it doesnt posses the qualities I consider the most important. I take back that is the worst story I have ever consumed. It is far from that.

I reserve sucks for movies like JPIII. What a load.
cheers
cv

Postby SnowQuake » Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:01 pm

Alright. I understand now, and stand corrected.
SnowQuake

Postby Wyzak » Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:15 am

cv [1041 EDT 200108.02]
>I reserve sucks for movies like JPIII. What a load.
>cheers

Does this mean Jurassic Park III was the cheapest ripoff of the series?

P.S. Was there a companion Crichton book to JP3 so that they could mangle his brainchild AGAIN?

What the producers did to Lost World was a crying shame when you compare the movie to the book. Even with the first movie/book there were major inconsistencies that should have been addressed.
Wyzak

Postby cv » Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:14 am

I think these movies come from the current ratings system. There is some perverse desire to have adults and children enjoy the same exact movie even though they are supposed to be at different stages of life. Why cant they release a movie with a target audience less than the entire population of earth. I understand the economics of the current system, but you could save many dollars by not hiring Tom Cruise types for 20 mil/picture. Then you would be able to make SciFi movies for SciFi fans and Action movies for Action fans. JP would have made an amazing serious movie.
cv

Postby Site Manager » Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:24 pm

Ok I'm going to say that have 128 bit encription, firewall, and a self preprogramed virus scan system... I have more protection on this computer than all of microsoft does (I'm not lying) so you cant kill my computer (although ther is nothing stoping you from coming over and shooting me) But what is b5 bla bla bla and the other shows you talk about? I have only heard of st and sw when and where are theese other shows?
Site Manager

Postby Vaaish » Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:37 pm

Babylon 5
Andromeda
Star Wars
Star Trek
Earth Final Conflict
Farscape(?)

and a myriad of others fall into the broad categoty of Science Fiction. They are basically like ST and SW but with varying quality of storyplot, effects and acting ability.
Vaaish

Postby Site Manager » Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:55 pm

Are all of theese tv shows? And if so what channel and what time? (I dont have cable either) *SLAP* *SLAP* !!
Site Manager

Postby Vaaish » Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:05 pm

Babylon 5 - on cable
Star Wars - Movies
Farscape - On Cable

All others are on TV, check your local TV listings.
Vaaish

Postby Site Manager » Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:16 pm

Hey wow that wasnt so hard! Oh crap

<ED:not sure what it was but without it the message reads easier.>

(Edited by Vaaish at 1:22 am on Aug. 6, 2001)
Site Manager

Postby Wonder Cow of Doom » Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:20 am

Now lets say the Star Wars, Star Trek, and Babylon 5, and various other SciFi "universes" were all to start shooting at each other? Who would win?
Wonder Cow of Doom

Postby Wyzak » Fri Aug 17, 2001 7:39 am

This has been discussed and beaten to a pulp. Wander over to the largest thread, ST vs SW, for background. I don't know for sure what effect B5 would have had on THAT debate, though.
Wyzak

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions