AI Corner

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

AI Corner

Postby Admiral_Reyth » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 pm

I'd like to have a thread that relates to AI improvement (If you would rather have it in the "bug report" forum please move it).

I'd like to state here that the AI is at all times a frustrating opponent and sometimes so tough an opponent that I utterly fail to win (this is quite an accomplishment for a game that has such advanced graphical components).

However I have noticed areas where the AI can improve and I would like to list them here while also providing a place for others to post improvement ideas too.

This way the author can choose improvements from the list he'd like to change in each new release.
Last edited by Admiral_Reyth on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Admiral_Reyth

First Salvo

Postby Admiral_Reyth » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:37 pm

One thing I've noticed is the AI uses subs as scouts. This is a great strategy except he fails to dive them before he makes enemy contact. Of course this results in his very valuable sub being absolutely shredded on the turn following contact. In my estimation a sub is worth far more than the fleeting intelligence gained from the scouting mission, especially because all one has to do is move their ships and they are no longer spotted.

I have also noticed that the comp will leave a sub surfaced in the sight of enemy ships (beyond the two turns required to remain surfaced and while no other ship is threatened) to move other ships. It would seem that the comp should deem the surfaced sub in enemy sight as the highest priority, especially if there are no other threats.

There are times when the comp does use the sub properly (just not as a scout), at which time he is very difficult to deal with (usually it seems like on the outer periphery of a major slugfest against an AI BB or BC which causes my attack focus to be instantly divided).

----

I was in a situation where the comp's BB or BC was facing my CA and DD. My CA was out of ammo and it was the turn where my DD would fire it's torp. The comp fired on the CA instead of the DD (to attempt to disable the torp tube or even sink the DD). Obviously there is no reason to fire on an "out-of-ammo" CA. I assume this was because of a blind check of "to-hit" percentage.

----

An AI DD has sighted my DD & BB and targeted and fired upon my DD. Next turn he moves some other ship somewhere and fires exploratory shots. It would seem to me that the AI's sighted DD should take priority over exploratory missions.

----

In general, I would say that I win against the comp when it relies mostly on "single-ship scouting runs" as its major form of attack and I tend to do far poorer (or even lose) when the comp is able to pull off multiple ship attacks. So I would recommend adding a very strong "multiple-ship-attack-strategy" component to the AI logic.

A_R
Admiral_Reyth

Return to Battleship Chess