A new version coming soon ...

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Postby Soulmage » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Thought of another change that would be a minor tweak (hopefully) but would add some more tactical depth to gameplay.

Change things so that ships block line of sight like islands do.

Historically, ships would mask each other's fire if they were in each other's way. So it makes sense from a historical perspective. In addition, the more limited lines of sight mean that tactical decisions on where to move your ships become harder.
Soulmage

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Actually ships should not block line of sight in BC, since the first primate fire control devices were in use pre WW1 along with parallex scopes. Mounted high in the masts of the ships they could give a rough approxamation of range and speed of a target to be fed to the plotting table.

That information in turn off the plot was fed to turrets on the ship. to set power charges for the shell, rifle elvation , and turret spin to attempt to land plunging fire on the lightly armored decks of a distant target.

It was not all that accurate but shooting over a frendily ship was to get a distant oppent was a standard task by the time of WW1.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Mischief Maker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm

In the meantime, is there a cheat code that lets me maximize my rank? I really hate unlockables in games. I already "earned" the money I forked out for the game, I don't want to "pretend earn" during my leisure time.
Mischief Maker

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 am

I'll get rid of the silly lockable rankings after I finish up Loco Mogul. I admit its a pain. For now there is a cheat code to get back max rankings to allow you to place techs and choose ships for battle.

Press F3 to get the cheat code input box and then type "ADMIRAL".
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Mischief Maker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32 am

Problem solved! Thanks!
Mischief Maker

Postby Bounder » Tue May 13, 2008 10:00 am

Bounder wrote:Thank you for the no zoom option. I will be purchasing the upraded version.

I just got your new version announcement. Thank you for adding no zoom. I will purchase it when I get home.
Bounder

Postby Bounder » Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Done. Purchased BC and a second copy of SK.

--Keith
Bounder

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Wow, thanks a lot, Keith.

Happy Gaming
Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Mischief Maker » Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 pm

Just tried a couple wars with the new version.

While the changes are subtle, so far all my complaints are gone. This is an excellent upgrade and now I'm having more fun with this game than ever. Thanks!
Mischief Maker

Postby John Ericsson » Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks very much for the new version. I'm particularly glad to get a text notification when a mine drops. And I was all set to report my ability to fire ships that weren't adjacent to the one I moved as a bug until I took a close look at the manual. (Didn't see it mentioned in the changelog, though.) This change seems like it will make scouting more viable and important, which is all to the good.

Although the game plays fine on both my Vista machine and my XP laptop, I've noticed that I can no longer resize the game window when I play in windowed mode, even though I could in version 2.1. Is this just a limitation of making the game Vista-compatible?
John Ericsson

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am

Wow, you're right! I did forget to mention it in the change log. Oops. The new change in firing rules is subtle but can be quite devastating if played right.

I never intended to make the game resizable, so v2.1 had the bug. I was too lazy to figure out how to resize the user's resize when it was resized to a non-1.333 aspect ratio (that's a mouthful). ;) If someone can tell me how to keep a window the same aspect ratio when resizing then I'd have no problem adding this "bug" back.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Battleship Chess