Some newbie questions/comments

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Some newbie questions/comments

Postby Shazbot » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Hey all. I started playing BC a week or so ago and I'm really enjoying it. It has a lot of strategic depth and every game is different. I just had a five battle war where I lost by only 11 points, and it was very exciting (though heartbreaking... if only I had stopped that merchant ship in the final battle!).

I'm looking forward to the imminent update, especially with the "no zoom" option... that's probably the only thing I don't like about the game. And the other updates sound good, too.

There are a couple of things that I'm wondering at this point...

- Do 10 battle games ever actually last 10 battles?? I've played a few now and none of them have ever come close. In fact, it almost seems as though they have less likelihood of lasting 5 battles than 5 battle games do.

- Is there a simple way to understand the firing range limitations of the destroyer and how they change from turn to turn? I might suggest for a future update sort of a 'ghosted' firing range that shows around a ship when you select it, so you can know where you'll be able to fire with it, before you choose to move it somewhere. There's already the moving range shown when you click on a ship, and the firing range shown would be great to see as well.

- I haven't yet decided to worry about using the different shell choices... just not something I've taken into account yet in the course of learning the game. But can anyone recommend a strategy as far as when it's best to use different shell types? Or is it just a matter of when the odds favor it?

I'll probably have another question or two as I play some more, but that's enough for now. I'll appreciate your help and also any strategy insights.

I also wanted to mention that I posted a review of the game at GameSpot and would recommend others here to do that. I think it could use some better ratings. It's currently rated 6.9 from 9 ratings, which isn't bad, I suppose, but I think it deserves much better.
Shazbot

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:43 am

Hey, thanks Shazbot. Glad to see you made it to the forums. :lol:

I may need to adjust things so that 10-battle games last 10 battles. This is one of the reasons I limited the # of turns per battle. Have too many and you end up sinking too many ships in a battle.

Firing limitations may change for torpedo firing weapons in the sense that they won't be able to fire the next turn. You should be able to see their status when you put the cursor over them.

As for shell choices, big ships should use lighter shells against less armored ships, e.g. battleships against subs, merchants and destroyers.

Thanks a bunch for the detailed review, much appreciated.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Shazbot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:I may need to adjust things so that 10-battle games last 10 battles. This is one of the reasons I limited the # of turns per battle. Have too many and you end up sinking too many ships in a battle.

How about the option to choose the number of battles, or at least add another option or two? I would think three battles might make for an interesting contest.

Also, having played BC more now, I would suggest doing more with the land. I like that sometimes a piece of land can come in handy for defense, but it seems a rarity that it comes into play at all. It might be cool to have a screen where there is a big island in the middle, or a block of land across the middle where there are only a couple of thin passages to go between. That could make for some interesting maneuvering.

I'd also suggest disallowing the ability to use 'Retreat from Battle' on the last battle in a war. It just seems like a terrible way to win (and especially lose!). Granted, it's about the points and doing what you can with what you have to end up with more points, but it has kind of ruined the suspense of what could have been a really cool final battle down to the wire when the AI has used that card to win when it's ahead in the final battle.

One other thing... Am I right in thinking that once a ship of yours has sunk another ship, it can no longer shoot something else that turn? If so, is there a reason for that?

Thanks much,
Shaz
Shazbot

Postby Shazbot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:21 pm

A couple of other questions...

Is there a keyboard shortcut for the 'end turn' button? I play a lot on a laptop and my finger gets really tired from having to scroll over to the bottom corner every time. Actually, I'd be up for the game automatically ending my turn when there's no other choice but to do that.

Also, can the "hyperspeed" option be automatic for the game speed? Once I found out about that, there was definitely no going back.

Best,
Shaz
Shazbot

Postby Shazbot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:28 pm

And a couple more...

Along the lines of the "automatic end turn", it would be cool if the computer knew when you really can't "change attacker" because the only other ship is out of ammo.

And it would be great if the game had some kind of an archive, so you could see the stats from previous battles, and even previous wars.

Please don't misunderstand my nitpicking here, Andrew... I think this game is awesome. And it's your game, so you do what you want with it. I'm just throwing in some feedback, for whatever it's worth.

Best,
Shaz
Shazbot

Postby Shazbot » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Another suggestion from more play...

I like the point system, and it makes the game very interesting and challenging in a unique way, but I think it would be nice if there was also a "sink all the ships" means of winning, like the original Battleship.

Any ETA on the update for the game, Andrew? I'm really looking forward to the "no zoom" option! 8)
Shazbot

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am

Ships may continue firing on a new target once their 1st one is sunk.

I wouldn't want to make hyperspeed the default. May add it to the options menu, though.

Use the spacebar to end your turn.

I need to debug the multiplayer to fix one bug. After that, I should have the next version out.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to Battleship Chess