Multiplayer questions

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Multiplayer questions

Postby Blackjet » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:16 pm

For non lan multi-player: How does it join games? Does it need the ip typed in?? Or is it like many other games an has a server showing availible games? How many people actually are there to play against?
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:26 am

You need to type the IP in. Yes, primative, but it's my first try at a multiplayer game.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:48 pm

Not that primitive actually. Most games just use game spy to give the ip to them. It isn't that different except you need to know before hand!!
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:15 pm

I thought of using GameSpy, can't remember the reason why I decided not to (maybe too controlling?). I think that I figured that I'd write my own lobby some day (still plan to).

My real problem is that I need to figure the proper way of letting people get through their routers. I think it may be as easy as choosing a port # for the game to use and then having people set up their router to open that port. Of course, even if this is so, this extra work of configuring a router's port would be a major pain in the ass. Anyone know how other games do this? Is there a nice way to do this. I'm guessing that GameSpy does something called router tunneling which can get passed this issue.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:05 pm

I don't know. I only have about 1 year learning in java and 1 on html/java script. That is about the extent of my computer knowledge.(except what growing up loving them gave me. in other words I don't know much about HOW they run.)
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:02 pm

Assigning a port that players could open on there nat would be a good thing.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Insayn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:23 pm

There is a free networking program available. I've never tried it with BC. Since there is no "join network game" (not the direct IP way) it won't work.
http://www.hamachi.cc/
Is the their site FYI
This is a way better way than useing gamespy
Insayn

Postby em2nought » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:53 am

Hyperlobby http://hyperfighter.sk/ could possibly provide some insight, you might even consider getting added there. Or maybe you could easily move(?) into the torque engine http://www.garagegames.com which has a lobby and good multiplayer code for a reasonable price.
em2nought

Postby Bernd Nowak » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:40 pm

I have played Battlefield, Call of Duty, Grand Prix Legends, Nascar 2003 over the internet.
The communication from your PC over a router to the internet is mostly easy because most routers let the traffic flow from inside to outside so you don't have to figure what needs to be configured. If you use a server behind a firewall/router everything get's complicated. You need to know the ports you're forwarding and the protocol (tcp or udp).
Most router use a linux derivat today and they're all individuell so there's no known mechanismus to create such an application that allows you to start a server behind a router with one mouse click.
If it exist it would be a serious disadvantage because you would have created a back door for the 'bad guys'.
Bernd Nowak

eventually?

Postby aracuan_77 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:55 am

eventually does anyone of all who have BC,mange to play versus each other in a multiplayer mode(not LAN)?I made some efforts during the weekend to play against someone but couldn find any,although when i click on "update server"new names were appearing all the time.
aracuan_77

Re: eventually?

Postby em2nought » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:42 am

aracuan_77 wrote:eventually does anyone of all who have BC,mange to play versus each other in a multiplayer mode(not LAN)?I made some efforts during the weekend to play against someone but couldn find any,although when i click on "update server"new names were appearing all the time.

Haven't tried multiplayer myself. What you might consider is posting a thread about having a chosen gaming night for Battleship Chess. That way more people might try playing on that particular night and you might be able to find an opponent.
em2nought

Re: eventually?

Postby aracuan_77 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:52 am

well

since yet i have mail to 5 people but just one or 2 most show some interest of play versus each other.
i want to ask something however,in order to play versus a human both players have to coordinate their Battleship chess to play in the same era and battle duration,or these conditions are predefined by the host?
aracuan_77

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:15 am

Hi aracuan_77, the host sets up the conditions for play.

My goal for the future is to have a lobby to handle multiplayer games. It will use the concept of play-by-email, except it will all be handled internally, no actual email protocals used. This will allow you to resume multiplayer games at any time. Anyways, as stated, this is my goal for the coming year. I'll be asking you guys for your suggestions on this at some point in the future.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby aracuan_77 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 am

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:Hi aracuan_77, the host sets up the conditions for play.

My goal for the future is to have a lobby to handle multiplayer games. It will use the concept of play-by-email, except it will all be handled internally, no actual email protocals used. This will allow you to resume multiplayer games at any time. Anyways, as stated, this is my goal for the coming year. I'll be asking you guys for your suggestions on this at some point in the future.

Andrew,

have u seen medal of honor or call of duty multiplayer mode?
its a list of servers which u can select one of these.can this be done also to battleship chess?
i mean to create a server and some players will be as host and some others just visiting and playing.
what exaclty u mean by lobby handling multiplayer games?some people will check the mail for multiplayer games?
i have just yesterday play multiplayer for the first time and i m glad that even in a 56 k modem runs pretty good.also multiplayer is the best part of the game it self.although AI is indeed very good and very tough to defeat,versus a human is the topest thing.
once again,my email to anyone who wants to play multiplayer rwith me,
aracuan_76@hotmail.com
in the space between aracuan and 76 is this _ but cause is underlined it doesnt appear.
aracuan_77

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:17 am

No aracuan_77, I haven't seen the multiplayer modes of the games you mentioned. The fact is, I don't play multiplayer games, so I really need to educate myself on how I should handle this.

I was thinking that I'd like to implement something like this:

Within BC, you go to the lobby screen where it lists all the players who are available to play multiplayer. I'm guessing the way they get on the list is by going to the New Game screen, selecting their game startup and pressing some kind of 'add to lobby' button. Any player that wants to play against them, sits down at their table (to use a common metaphor), where they'll either be accepted or rejected by the player that started the game. Once a game starts, the BC app will receive messages (e.g. it will retreive them from the host (e.g. apezone.com) from the other player. These messages will be either chat or game data. Think of each player having an email account (but not a real one). The BC app checks periodically for new messages and applies them to the game. Message passing stops if one of the player quits the BC app, resuming when he resumes the multiplayer game. As far as you're concerned, the BC app acts like a mail client, checking the mail server (apezone.com) for new messages and posting to the other player's "mailbox" on the mail server. No actual email is used. I believe this is the common way turn-based games that have a play-by-email work these days? Anyways, that's the idea. Details are sketchy. Whether I allow the ability to add new hosts is TBD. Feel free to educate me. :)
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to Battleship Chess