Why are enemy torpedoes so much more accurate???

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Why are enemy torpedoes so much more accurate???

Postby bluewolf » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:37 pm

I'm playing in the 4th chapter now {no subs yet} and although it only went 7 rounds before I destroyed the entire enemy fleet, the enemy destroyers hit my ships with torps 9 tiimes to 0 for my destroyers firing torps. I know their commanders were mostly rated higher but -- sheeeesh are you kidding me -- Question -- has this been anyone else's experience too?? Is the enemy destroyers torpedo accuracy just way higher or not??? Thanks -- bluewolf.
bluewolf

Postby Blackjet » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 pm

I don't think the enemy actually has any "advantages" like that anymore.
Blackjet

Postby James Sterrett » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Better rated commanders will help, yes.

But this is random, in my experience. Some games I get all the luck (I once [*once*] sank a battleship in a single DD torpedo salvo - all three torps hit). Some games the AI does. Mostly it's middling.
James Sterrett

Postby bluewolf » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:41 pm

Well it's beginning to even out a bit more now -- maybe that was just an anomaly -- Anyway I've made it to the final chapter with subs, and even though the enemy still hits more consistently, its not so completely one sided -- Perhaps the AI advantage is simply due to the fact of their commanders higher rating -- In any case it's more competetive this way so it's okay. 8)
bluewolf

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:51 pm

Thier channce to land a hit is just the same as yours, but when that ultra lucky DD lands it's third hit in a row on that rare occasin, it dont feel so random. :lol:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby bluewolf » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:11 am

As I've continued play I can't escape the fact that enemy torpedoes hit with astonishing regularity -- The odds on torp firing ships are never as good as surface ships but they seem to hit at least as often if not more often than surface vessels. It fly's in the face of common sense to think that the few additional few points you get for a higher grade commander make that much difference -- oh well -- this is the first big dissapointment of this game --> :cry: --> That being said though, it's still an overall excellent game :)
bluewolf

Postby LordBlackfire » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:50 pm

I've been thinking the same thing. I sure seems like they hit more often to me.
LordBlackfire

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:29 am

I've looked at the logic, heck, I'm even displaying the logic here. There's NO weapons cheats for the AI. Better AI skill levels make better maneuver decisions by taking into account more information, by having higher rated captains (this affects hit odds) and by not holding back on firing at a target. Firing at a target's broadside gives better hit odds than firing at any other angle. Firing at bigger targets give better hit odds than firing at smaller ones.

Here's the C++ code for computing the torpedo hit odds:

else if (is_torp)
{
if (t->UnderWater() && (!HasSonar() || strcmp(ids,"SS")))
return 0;
else
{
int base_odds = Weapons::BaselineTorpAccuracy() + cap_rating*Weapons::CaptainsRatingMod();
odds = ((base_odds - tgt_sz*3)
* (100-broadsideness*Weapons::TorpTgtBroadSizeOrientationMod()))/100;
}
}
static int BaselineTorpAccuracy(void) {return baseline_torp_accuracy;};
static int CaptainsRatingMod(void) {return cap_rating_mod;};
static int TorpTgtBroadSizeOrientationMod(void) {return torp_tgt_broadside_orientation_mod;};
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby LordBlackfire » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:17 pm

I suspect the broadsides aspect has something to do with it too. I have also noticed that at the end of the game the AI always has fired a lot more torps than I have. I've wondered "what the hell is it firing at?" I don't recall that many torps. At the beginning of the game I see the AI firing a lot of random shots trying to find me. I'm wondering if it is firing torps too.

I would like to see it easier to select a surface ship or submerged sub when they are on top of each other. Sometimes I forget to click another warship to get off the sub when I want to move a warship on top of the sub.
LordBlackfire

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:12 am

You can click on the square where both ship and sub are. You can click again to select the next ship/sub. The message are displays which ship/sub you selected. You can also hold the shift key down to remove any buttons that may be in the way.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby LordBlackfire » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:30 pm

Thanks!
LordBlackfire

Return to Battleship Chess