Why wars lasting longer than 10 battles is a good idea

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Why wars lasting longer than 10 battles is a good idea

Postby bluewolf » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:42 pm

All the commanders you use at the start of a 10 battle war are ranked 1 or 2 with the exception of a few that you can grab before the war that are much higher in rank -- But even after the 10 battle war these commanders ranked 1 or 2 at the start aren't likey to be any higher than a 4 or 5 at the most -- there simply arent enough battles to get them that high, unless you keep using the same ships over and over and with enemy damage being what it is, that's not realistic -- I wish we could have 20 battle wars or even more, that way you could have the satisfaction of seeing a commander who starts at a 1 and survives, gain in rank to the really high levels -- Bluewolf
bluewolf

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:29 am

Hmm I dont know. I can strip the Ai's whole fleet by turn eight most time and for the most part I play ten battle wars. If you went to longer battles you would have to increase fleet size to have something to shot at/with in the later battles. That would negate the abilty to promote more officers .
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby bluewolf » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:06 pm

cancelled my response
Last edited by bluewolf on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluewolf

Postby orion » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:46 pm

I think Mr Dogfood means by battle no. 8, rather than turn 8.

Actually you raise a good point, that low-level commanders tend to stay that way with only 10 promotion opportunities for the whole fleet. Perhaps Mr. D'food's suggestion of increasing the number of battles, while increasing the size of the fleets, would largely result in a similar dilution of promotions across a now larger corp of commanders.

My gut feeling is that there is not much wrong with the current system. It sure is nice to have the edge in percentage in a gunnery duel, and it would be fun to have a fleet of super-commanders. Yet the process still works as you would expect, and normally by battle 8 or 9, the superiority of your commanders coupled with the battle-weakened enemy contribute to his total destruction.

The only change I would make is to award the other team with a promotion when one team "retreats".
orion

Postby orion » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:20 am

Another idea might be to award 2 promotions in battles where you inflict a severe defeat, or perhaps one promotion for each extra ship you sink more than the enemy. I especially like this latter idea, as it is one way to punish the loner-DD tactic that the AI is so fond of.
orion

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:51 am

Actually, you get two promotions if you win a battle, not one. The loser gets one, though.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:30 am

Add to that your super adrimirl in his super ship is something I tend to use when I know that it is time to break the black fleets back. If you run him out every battle his ship will by acculated damage become a liabity inststead of a threat.

I tend to mix fresh crews to get experience into each battle for a couple of reasons. One they make a promotion that way, and two they are driveing ships that need to pick up a few specials. I use a more experienced captain to nurse maid them as they grab the specials, {Thus denying them to the evil black navy :wink: } this makes for a better balanced navy more capable to quickly defeat it's foes. By the end of a ten battle war I have mostly mid range officers with two or three high ranking ones. Sort of like real naval rank structure. Besides if they all made admiral, who would they have to order about? :lol:
Meatboy Dogfood

Return to Battleship Chess