GREAT game, but 2 questions...(newbie)

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

GREAT game, but 2 questions...(newbie)

Postby Mac » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:03 pm

Okay, I love this game having just jumped to 5-battle wars. Using just BCs right now (level 3?). Still have DDs and SSs to go. Then 10-battle wars. Then Intermediate and Experts levels!!! blah blah blah

On a scale of 1 to 10, Battleship Chess is easily a 10+!! (I have recommended it to several friends already.)

2 more questions, however:

(perhaps with more game-time I would get my own answer, but...)

1.) How many turns per battle? Is this random or is it a steady number? I have noticed, without really paying a lot of attention, that it is anywhere from 30 to 40 turns.

2.) Add a Ship Card. (or whatever it is called) I have gotten it once, and the explanation was something like it could be played with less than 6 ship engaged, and at least 1 in reserve. I had fewer than 6 on the ''board'' and had more than 1 ship held in reserve, but the card didn't play. Are there more particulars for playing this card?

Thanks!! Cap'n Mac

8)
Mac

Postby bluewolf » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:20 pm

On the first question - I believe the turns are either 30 - 35 - or 40 -- I dont play the add a ship card much but it seems to me the card should have played for you so I dunno what to say about that.
bluewolf

add a ship and number of game turns

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:40 pm

Thanks for reply! Apparently the Add a Ship card is buggy and will be fixed in a new update. I understand the turns vary like you mentioned, and also depend on how many ships are in the battle. :)
Mac

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:02 am

Yes, thanks to Mac, I found a bug in the add a ship card logic. It was looking at the max # of ships in the battle instead of using 6.

Turns per battle is a function of # of ships per side. I'm going to be releasing a new update soon. Any requests for longer battles or some other changes regarding # of turns per battle?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 am

adding a rare 45 turn battle could be fun. Are you just doing bug fixes in this update or are you going to add anything new?
Meatboy Dogfood

update suggestions

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:20 pm

Well, I am honored to have been able to help find a minor bug that can be fixed (add-a-ship) as a real newcomer to Battleship Chess.

As a newcomer, I cannot think of anything I would suggest for changes. I sure like this game so far just the way it is! It is rare to find a game so easily learned rule-wise but yet offers real depth and challenge in game play. And I have to say, I loved the graphics from the start!! Clean, simple, and fun. You see the ships tossing in the waves, shadow underneath---it makes them all really seem to be floating! Yet you can watch your opponent slip beneath the surface on her way to Davy Jones' Locker! haha! Great stuff!!

I have read where some old-timers would like to see an option for longer wars (15 or 20 battles?---my longest so far has been a 5-battle, but I plan to try a 10-battle war soon) and also for some occassional increased turns during a battle, like up to 45 or so. I will defer to them as they have played more.

I am certainly glad I happened to find the ad for this game on the Subsim.com website!!!! Otherwise, I'd have missed out on a lot of fun....... :mrgreen:

Capt. Mac (my name on the rankings board)
Mac

Re: update suggestions

Postby Bozo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:33 am

heheeh Mac, i saw Bchess on subsim.com too :)
Bozo

Postby Chronus » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:47 pm

I also found B-Chess on subsim.com as well. I found subsim.com from lurking on the SH3 forums. I believe it was you, Bozo, who also plays SH3?

Anyway, I'm somewhat curious how many B-Chess players also play SH3.

8)
Chronus

Postby Bozo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:51 am

Yes, i just came out of patrol with my new IXB :) (Real U-boat 1.43a)

Subsim is a great site, it's a good thing the game is advertised there. Perhaps we should organize a league for Battlefield chess in these forums, i would be happy to advertise it in Subsim (i am also a moderator there).
Bozo

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:33 am

Does anyone know of another good naval warfare site, besides subsim, that may be a good fit for Battleship Chess advertisement? Want to keep getting the word out.

thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Return to Battleship Chess