A beta of Version 2.1 is available for download

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:00 am

Tirpitz, this is normal logic for the beginner skill level.

The melee is just a mix up of ships. There is no pattern. These kind of things could happen if the weather was bad or at night, often with the smaller ships. It just adds a bit of a change once in a while.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Tirpitz » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:40 am

Andrew,

It seems that the AI torpedo hit % is pretty constant (at all difficulty settings) in the new version. Lvl 1 and 2 captains seem to get about a 30-40% chance to hit from what I have seen thus far. Does this reflect a new base percentage modified only slightly by the command rating of the ship captains now?

Tirp
Tirpitz

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:50 am

Ok spent sometime on the latest beta saturday and sunday. The main thing I noticed was the nice graphic tweaks and thy are nice ones. Little touches like the circle of light under the selected ship, and adding color to the floating pickups are small changes that add nice touches to the game.

Also the changes to the chance for meele setup feels a lot more balanced than the last version.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:24 pm

Hey Andrew. I don’t know if you are going to add any warship upgrades or cards to this update but I wanted to stick in a few ideas. Some I have done before but not this codified.

WARSHIP UPGRADES

{Upgrade Name}
Wireless Set

{Ships that can use}
All except SS

{Icon}
A T shaped antenna with wires in half circles

{Description of effect}

Ships that carry a wireless set are able to communicate with the rest of the fleet. If a wireless equipped ship is in sight contact with and enemy ship, {Meaning the ship is within sight square} all friendly ships that can range the target may fire on the enemy ship during the turn. The Wireless carrying ship MUST have the target within its’ sight square to open fire and to allow other ships in range to fire also

{Example}
A DD with a wireless upgrade moves and spots a CA. Nearby but not in contact range are a friendly BC a BB and a CA. The BB and The BC have the range to bring fire on the hapless Enemy CA but the friendly CA falls one square short of being able to reach the target. So for the firing turn the DD with the wireless the BB and the BC may fire on the enemy CA the friendly Ca may not.

{Upgrade Name}
Mine Layer

{Ships that can use}
DD, CA, BP

{Icon}
Model of a mine in its launch cradle

{Description of effect}
This powerful upgrade gives two benefits. First the ship equipped with it generates one {Drop Mine} card every time it is selected for battle. Second when a ship equipped with a Minelayer upgrade places a mine the mine is capable of doing more damage. {The mine placed by a mine layer would be a different color than a standard mine.} I would actually give the mine double damage so that it can destroy all but the mightiest ships with one strike. This would make a mine layer a thing to be feared indeed.

{Note}
A ship equipped with minelayer cannot spot mines unless it is equipped with a minesweeper upgrade also. That means it can be sunk by a well placed mine just like any other ship.

{Upgrade Name}
Hedgehog

{Ships that can use}
DD only

{Icon}
Picture of a hedgehog shell

{Description of effect}
A DD with a hedgehog launcher gain two advantages. First it gains the sonar upgrade. {Just like a ship with Sonar gains a depth charge launcher} Second it gains the ability to drop depth charges in a two square range in every square around the ship. So a hedgehog carrying ship can drop a depth charge on its sides and front as well as in the back of the ship. Depth charges have the standard chance of hit the same damage as a standard depth charge.

CARDS

{Card Name}
Rapid fire Drill

{Description}
When played it allows the selected ship and any ship in contact with the selected ship may fire at twice its normal rate for that turn only. That mean SS,BP, CA, BC, and BB’s may fire twice in a combat round. DD’s and CA’s can fire four times that round. Lots of ammo will be used but you will have a good chance of sinking a ship

{Card Name}
Fog of war

{Description}
Playing this card has the opposite effect of the clear skies card on your for. All contact with spotted ships is lost for them till the start of there next turn, then they must move into sight range to spot ships again. Even ships along side or in sight range vanish. This gives the user of the card a chance to retreat a ship out of a bad spot.

{Card Name}
Dry-dock at Sea

{Description}
When played all friendly ships have half of hull damage repaired on the turn the card is played. Note this only repairs hull damage.

{Card Name}
Admiralty’s Order

{Description}
When played the selected ship is retreated from the battlefield for the rest of the battle. It also receives full repairs and all hull damage removed, so it is ready to return to battle next turn.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby em2nought » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:34 pm

Meatboy Dogfood wrote:{Card Name}
Fog of war

{Description}
Playing this card has the opposite effect of the clear skies card on your for. All contact with spotted ships is lost for them till the start of there next turn, then they must move into sight range to spot ships again. Even ships along side or in sight range vanish. This gives the user of the card a chance to retreat a ship out of a bad spot.

You could call that one "Lay Smoke Screen" or "Foul Weather" too. Like the idea of "Smoke Screen", would be cool with some graphic effects attached yet. :D
em2nought

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:59 am

Lay Smoke would be a better Idea you could have it effect a set area only on the ship that plays it.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:38 pm

After playing several games I have come to a conculsion. The Ai is way to accurate with torpedos. Five games at itermedate level and the ai hit rate averages around 40%-43%, while I remain at the in the 15%-20% range. I jumped straight into chapter five and ten battle wars.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:47 am

I don't think I've done anything different with ai and torps. I'll take a look again.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:02 am

It may just be a fluke but it has been a consistent fluke.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Chronus » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:43 am

Hi,

I really enjoy this game and looking forward to the next version.

Like one of the posters above, I do hope that the AI torpedo accuracy gets resolved . . . either brought down to the human level or bring the human accuracy up to the AI's (for the same Captain experience levels, of course). My bottom line opinion is that the torpedo accuracies should be the same, assuming all other factors are equal as well.

As it is, I just finished a game wherein I fired 50 torps but only 6 hits. The AI fired 39 but got 11 hits. Total torp damage pts for me was 2310. Total torp damage pts for AI was 4740 . . . he beat me by some 800 points. Maybe I'm missing some factor here somewhere (i.e. the AI is using the same, highly experienced Captain to fire torps) but I'll try to maintain better observation on this.

Other than that . . . good game! A friend of mine may buy it as well. 8)
Chronus

Postby em2nought » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:37 am

Does the angle that the torpedo is fired from effect the hit chance? If I fire at the bow for instance, instead of broadside to a target is the hit chance reduced? Does distance effect hit chance?
em2nought

Postby Tirpitz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:14 am

Yes. I do believe the angle affects the AI as well. As with players a torpedo angle perpendicular (broadside) to the target ship has a higher chance of hitting than does a bow or stern shot.
Tirpitz

Postby Bozo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:34 am

Sweet job on the game ...bought it, playing it, loving it.

I am on 2.0 beta and i like it :)

I do miss the carriers, there should be the aircraft carriers ...perhaps a solution like in the boardgame axis & allies would do. With a maximum of 1 fighter squad and 1 bomber squad (to "buy" in the ship selection screen) on the carrier with different moving points (bombers have farther range).

An idea for the cards would be for storms. The weather was a key effect in sea battles. U play the storm card and you put a storm on the sea, between you and your enemy so that they can't see you anymore.

Another idea i have for the cards regards the BDU report. You play the card, and a random ship is sighted.

There are a couple of bugs nonetheless. First of all the bonuses at the beginning of the round. I checked and they don't work here.

When it says : Target CA for 2xDP damage bonus, i target it, but the bonus remains the same if i hit.

Secondly, i seem to have understood that when i select the HE bullets, if i score a hit but *not* penetrate the armor, the dp i cause should be decided by the gun size in inches. Now, this also doesn't seem to be working, always the AP damage...but *maybe* it's because you can't change the bullets you have loaded prior to shooting? U must unload and load them at the end of the round so they will be loaded in next round when you fire?

Any ideas about these 2 issues?

When is next version coming out? Can i help with beta?
Bozo

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:43 am

Torpedo accuracy is dependant on the captains rating and the orientation of the target hull. Broadside hits are easier than bow or stern.

Bozo, damage bonuses are working properly. Bonuses add to your score, not the damage done to the ship, e.g. if it says you get a 2xDP damage bonus for hitting a BB and you hit or penetrate it, then only your score goes up by 2xDP, not the damage to the BB. Non-AP shells work properly too. If a 15" gun hits but doesn't penetrate then it does 15 DP of damage, no matter the shell type.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Bozo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:51 am

Yes Andrew,

sorry for the n00b questions, i found out last night about this detail on the scorechart.

As of the dmg rates, i was moving the knob and seeing it didn't change, but it did...i was just looking at the enemy ship, that's why i didnt see it change!

Sorry again :oops:

P.S. Did u get my PM 8)
Bozo

PreviousNext

Return to Battleship Chess