What Did I Do?!? ...Help PLEASE!!!

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

What Did I Do?!? ...Help PLEASE!!!

Postby Doppy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:49 am

By far, Battleship Chess is the most addictive, fun, and challenging (computer) game I've ever played...

After a few weeks of playing this game and honing my skills, I decided to go on-line with it to check my Global Rankings and attempt to find a Human opponent that would be patient with this 'Newbie'.

(Although the preceding events may be completely unrelated, I thought I'd explain what I did just prior to the occurance of the problem I'm having..., just in case.)

I've played the game 25 or 30 times now, varying the skill levels, opposing countries, and number of battles per war: Every start of a new game has allowed me to address my fleet before war to assign a few officer upgrades, and a number of ship upgrades - once I'd done this, I was manually able to start the battle(s).

PROBLEM: For some unknown reason, I am no longer able to assign Officer/Ship Upgrades before commencing a war, or any of the battles. After selecting the opposing country/flag, the number of battles in the war, the skill level, and "Declare War", the game now goes directly into battle - upgrades and ships automatically assigned(!) Also, I'm now getting a 'Hint' pop-up before every battle, (never got that before...).

What did I do?!? How can I get the game back to way I had it? I've been over all the 'Options' available, and see no way to have 'accidentally' changed, or 'purposely' change back the way I prefer the deploy my fleet. I've uninstalled the game, deleted Registry 'left-overs', and re-installed the game a few times, but to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

==Doppy==
Doppy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:16 am

If you reinstall the game then you'll lose your local ranking. It's contained in your user name file under the Users folder. I intend on changing how these things work in a future version as it also messes up global rankings.

For now, you can do 2 things, play until you reach a higher local ranking or use a cheat code each game to allow you to temporarily be ranked a fleet admiral. To do the cheat, press the F3 key and type in "admiral" (without the quotes).
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Doppy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:55 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:If you reinstall the game then you'll lose your local ranking. It's contained in your user name file under the Users folder. I intend on changing how these things work in a future version as it also messes up global rankings.

For now, you can do 2 things, play until you reach a higher local ranking or use a cheat code each game to allow you to temporarily be ranked a fleet admiral. To do the cheat, press the F3 key and type in "admiral" (without the quotes).

Thought I'd always been able to upgrade Officers and Ships since first playing the game - guess my memory isn't what it used to be...

I take it, from the second part of your much appreciated reply, that (cheat-code notwithstanding) a player needs to build-up experience and accumulate tonnage-sunk before allowed to manually assign Upgrades...(?)
____

Feeling really daft now, but I don't seem to be getting " F3 - admiral " to work... No worries, though.
____

Andrew, am I to understand that YOU are the person who created this awesome game?!? Bro, I cannot offer enough praise for the product of your efforts here... The more I play this game, the more I appreciate all that went into it - all the detail, all the info, all the options, all the variables, etc, etc... NEVER BEFORE have I played a game so intriguing, exciting, empowering, and one that requires a brain, instead of dumb-luck, to do well.

I can not imagine EVER being bored of this game, or reaching a skill or experience level in it (no matter how much or often I play) that affords me un-challenging play.

IMHO, "Battleship Chess" IS the PERFECT game, (bar none!).

Just wanted to Thank You.

Regards from a cold, wet, and windy England,

==Doppy==

Doppy

Return to Battleship Chess