A Plop (and more) for the Hearing Impaired

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

A Plop (and more) for the Hearing Impaired

Postby Prince Hood » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:18 pm

Update suggestion:

There are certain sounds that assist a player in knowing what's going on. The mine Plop is one of them; there are a few others I can't remember at moment. I recommend that any event that includes a sound (that is not already communicated in the text scroll) be added as text scroll message. For example, when a mine drops, a line of "Mine Plop" could be displayed as message.

This will assist those who might be playing with the sound off; the sound of 8 15 inches reverberating through the sub woofer at 2 in the morning isn't family friendly. More importantly, a text message will make the game more friendly for the hearing impaired.
Prince Hood

check

Postby aracuan_77 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:55 am

viewtopic.php?t=732&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

also,i have noticed a bug regarding the multiplayer mode.when someone puts its submarine into a submerged condition this can be heared by the opponent.WHY?i think is a great bug,cause then the opponents movements are then predictable and betrades other players intensions.the submarine when it dives it shouldnt notify the enemy player.
also this effect is happening if u drop a mine.these actions should be silent.
aracuan_77

Postby orion » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:35 am

My tiny beef here is that the plop is too quiet relative to the boom of the big guns. When I turn up the vol enough to hear the plop, I also get to hear from my wife!

Aracuan will no doubt complain that there is evidence from the battle of otranto that you could not hear mines being deployed. I don't care - I'm glad Andrew put in the plop, loud or quiet.
orion

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 am

The plop was a user request. He figured it would add drama. I'll look into adjusting the sounds so people's wives won't bother them too. :P

I'll look into the sub problem. Are you sure it only exists in multiplayer? It may have been another "drama" sound.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Prince Hood » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:Are you sure it only exists in multiplayer? It may have been another "drama" sound.

I recall hearing it in single player mode.
Prince Hood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:08 pm

Yep it is a random thing. I have noted that you will hear a sub dive and surface if it came into sight contact during game play.

The text message for a deployed mine has merit.
Meatboy Dogfood

Sound FX

Postby Captain Zlog » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Personally I found the destroyer and submarine deck gun sound efects a little disappointing; however I fixed the problem by taking a gun sound from a tank battle game and overwriting the colt.wav file in BC. I'm pretty pleased with the results, and my next project will be to find a sound file that will give the "express train" howl of heavy shells screaming overhead......
Captain Zlog

Return to Battleship Chess