congratulations

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

congratulations

Postby aracuan_77 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:35 am

Hello,

I would like to congratulate everyone who is responsible for abandoning this game.With the exception of disastr,the forums are dead since early March.i would like to show to some people,without advertising intensions of course,the famous game pocket tanks,www.blitwise.com
it is remarkable that this game,almost same size and although simple,has been updated several times,keeping the interest unstoppable.
i feel very sorry that this cannot happen here.
aracuan_77

Postby Insayn » Mon May 01, 2006 3:06 am

Acuran, you are comparing Battleship chess to a game that is on the same level as TETRIS. So exceedingly simple, and effortlessly easy to market.
My mom has played tetris since it came out. I have no idea how someone can play one boring game for so long. I can, however, acknowledge the marketing potential for the game.
Nevermind that, you want to accuse BC of being Bloat ware, While still only requiring the same amount of development as an atari game from the 80's.
My point is, acuran, the interest in that game has nothing to do with the frequency of its updates. It is the huge, already established, fanbase that is so helpful for that game.

Otherwise you are correct. This forum is very quiet lately. :(
Insayn

RE:

Postby aracuan_77 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:11 am

Insayn,

i would gladly agree with you,but i m afraid i cant.adding no updates in a game,will lead to get you boring of it.of course tetris is simple,but since powerfull and new games come out,tetris destined it self then to be in the side.
i sometimes play super wonder boy but for emotion reasons clearly.
about the example i was telling you,pocket tanks is very simple,and cause no new weaponry has been added,i put it in the side.but when was updated with new weapons( it has been updated 7 times),i was very curious to see these weapons in action,and versus the old weapons,reborning somehow the game.
i m telling you again that bc can be updated and improved deeply,without effecting bad nothing of its gameplay.on the contract,it would be or,think how better would be if events like:

*special characteristics of a selected country,

*added magazine explosion event,

*new cards,

*light cruiser type ship added,

*secondary armament in big ships(battlecruiser,battleship)

???

well?
sounds better or the same?
aracuan_77

Postby Blackjet » Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm

I have no clue now. I think that these forums may never return to their glory. They glitch on my comp. I think that if no one new comes, we have already lost. PickUpSticks originally did this for us, but even he is gone now. I don't know what we can do. :(
Blackjet

you re right...

Postby aracuan_77 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Dear Blackjet...

i m afraid you re right...
these forums wont live again...
i was shouting all the time requesting for updates that would give new intresting to both game and forums...
and the reply for my request was"stop or be banned"...
you know where the thread for this is.
too sad to say,we re the last of the moicans...
and you know what the sarcasm point is?
that andrew and his stuff are know this,and have read my thread.
my thread has concentrate over 100 views,us you understand,a little difficult that they didnt see this...
i dont know what to say...
WHICH DESIGNER IS ABANDONING WITH THIS WAY HIS GAME DAMN IT????
WHERE THEY DISSAPEAR ALL??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

CAUSE WE TRULLY HURT FOR THIS FUC...G SITUATION!!!!!!!!
aracuan_77

Postby Blackjet » Sat May 06, 2006 11:52 pm

He does have a life. Not the answer you were looking for but true. How about this, you get as many people to buy the game as possible then come here and I'll try to do the same! With any luck Andy will notice the new money he is getting! LOL
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 am

The comparison of Battleship Chess to Pocket Tanks is funny. While Pocket Tanks is a fun game for sure, it doesn't have any real artificial intelligence (AI) and multiplayer components. This makes it a much simpler game from a maintainence point of view.

People just don't seem to understand how hard it is to write a reasonable AI. From my understanding, Pocket Tanks is a very popular game. Like Blackjet says, help people to find and buy Battleship Chess and I'll look into more updates. Til then, it's new projects for me.

I should have some screenshots of Starship Kingdom in the next couple of weeks.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Fri May 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Cool!
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat May 13, 2006 9:03 am

Heh I have been learning about AI within the mod I have been helping to design all. Even with an esisting AI in place just touching the edges of it is enough to drive it insane. Dont want to even think of designing one from scratch.

Pocket tanks is fun but all you have to design and code for it to make something new is what does it look like when it explodes and what damage does it do the AI is a very simple physics engine like one that I was able to code back in 1976 in high school. Witch is just about as long as versions of this game have been around. My all time favorite was scorched earth.

Looking forward to starship kingdoms, and ready to test if you need beta heads.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sat May 13, 2006 11:51 am

I'll probably try my hand at much simpler games like Pocket Tanks after I'm done with Starship Kingdom. Not sure if multiplayer games are worth writing for such a small outfit like ApeZone. My favorite artillery game is Warheads.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

wrong encounter

Postby aracuan_77 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:08 am

i think that your point of view andrew regarding the encounter of bc update,is completely wrong.you simply say"bring new customers to me and i will think what i m going to do".this sounds like an inappreciate-at least-attitude,to those that have already paid for the game,care for it and monitor the forums for long.
if your problem andrew is the new customers you were looking,you should be clever enough to think that by a non free update,you could also earn a lot of money,cause the existing customers are already quite big in numbers i think,and with the proper announcement,your update could easily heard to everyone.
so if your problem is money andrew,you should know that if you put a not free update,i m quite sure that everyone will get it.
personally,if i have spoken something like this,i would be ashamed of myself,so i shamed on behalf of you.somehow,your saying andrew,can easily be misunderstood as a kind of extortion,blackmail.
and pocket tanks has become so popular cause the producers help in that.be sure that without updates pocket tanks would dissapear a long time ago.they didnt update(7 times) it all times free of course,but this was not a problem.they understood what you cant understand(or dont want to understand)that making various updates could help to keep unstoppable the interesting around the game,despite that its not as deep,and entertaining as the bc.
essentially,you simply verify those who were cautious regarding your "good will"on your updates.it is seemed clearly now,that you have no intensions for updates,and all the word you said,they had the purpose to trick us and gave us false hope.
i hope you feel proud.
aracuan_77

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat May 20, 2006 12:42 am

aracuan 77. You are a fool. :lol: Weather Andrew updates a game of not is his perogivite,this is his bussinees after all. Just because you feel entitled to an update to meet your needs does not mean you gonna get one. No matter if you kick,cry and pout about it.

As to keeping the fourms alive, I did not see you being made into an admin and the fourms will work with or without you input thank you very much.

On one hand you holler blackmail then try the same tactic within the body of your post. I for one want to see topics on the game not whining about how you not getting what you want. In the end this game will get an update when Andrew the gent who put the game together decide to spend the time to do it not before. If he is working on a new game to bring in money good for him it is his bussiness after and he, not anybody else steers it in the direction it goes. Al this stomping about and blubbering wont change that. Take a breath and get a life.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat May 20, 2006 12:50 am

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:I'll probably try my hand at much simpler games like Pocket Tanks after I'm done with Starship Kingdom. Not sure if multiplayer games are worth writing for such a small outfit like ApeZone. My favorite artillery game is Warheads.

Tried both of these and while pocket tanks has a fun got ya type of feel to it. The game reminds me alot of the artillery games we used to write in computer class in the seventys. Granted it has alot of weapons to choose from, but in the end you just take turns tossing them at each other.

Warheads is indeed fun, and I would call it scorched earth true inherioter. Load of destructive weapons and sheer fun hurling them off into space to kiil your fellow players. It also has a high laugh factor because the wepapons go till they strike something, so a miss could end up back in you lap. The game is highly configurable to replay value is high. Thanks for the tip Andrew on the game and a hat tip to Aracuan for pocket tanks too.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Insayn » Sat May 20, 2006 6:49 am

Aracuan, It is difficult to determine what you are saying. I know english isn't your first language. It is difficult and tedious to decipher your posts. That is the reason I have declined to reply to this post so far.

I will not discuss pocket tanks, other games, or try to compare BC to them.

Andrew has stated a few times in the past that he wants to develop new games. Period. If you execute a little empathy, it is not a malicious desire. Working on the same game for years gets old. New games sell themselves. Old games don't sell, because you already got the majority of the customers after the initial release. You will get a trickle of new customers after that. Then, you want to continue to work on the game and spend months of work on updates just to.... what? Give it away for free?

Even if you sell the updates for the game after that. Do you really think people are going to pay $25 for a simple update for a game they already have? Only the most devoted and fanatical fans like us would consider doing that.

NO, you make new games and continue to develop as a game creator, designer, marketer, ect.... I completely agree with andrew's logic.
Insayn

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sat May 20, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Aracuan,
Same old, same old. For the record, I have released 2 major BC updates so far.

I wasted a year developing a balloon game that didn't quite cut it. That's a lot of time for a small developer like me. Without that extra income, I can't afford to put out updates to my old games. I have to write something new. Currently, that's Starship Kingdom. After that, I'll look into some updates, assuming Starship Kingdom sells. If not, I'll begin work on the next game, one that doesn't require any real AI to speak of (you know, like pocket tanks :wink: ).

Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Next

Return to Battleship Chess