Mechchant movement

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

Mechchant movement

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu May 25, 2006 2:14 pm

As I was playing around, I had a thought. Is there any way to give a merchat ship it's own seperate move?

For Example I am closing on a black BC and fire. The next turn the AI plays a merchant ship card at the start of it's turn. At that point all other ship movement stops as the ai tries to get the merchant ship across the board. I get several turns to hammer the Bc into scrap, if I let the merchant move unmolested.

Another emaple, suddenly all the ranging fore from the AI stops for a few turns. I now know the AI has a merchant card played so I can pull ships back to my side and set up a cordon to stop and sink it.

If playing a mechant came with its own movement {either before or after your fleets movement turn} it would allow both you and the Ai better tactics.

Add to that if you store Merchant cards you could have them all doing a mad merchant dash across the board. :wink:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu May 25, 2006 8:08 pm

This is all about tuning the AI, which can be an endless process. I'm not for giving the merchant its own extra turn, but tuning the AI to play the merchant ship better. Anyways, I wanted the merchant ship to be sunk. It's an event, something to shake things up a bit. Maybe giving it more hit points and/or making it worth more if it succeeds is the way to go. One thing that I'd probably like to change is to allow adjacent warships to fire after a merchants move.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu May 25, 2006 10:09 pm

More points and for getting a merchant in would be a good thing. Right now I ignore them unless they are an easy target, since thier point total can easily be made up in a few volleys into a warship. Like wise I rarely use a merchant because the point it gives are not as good as hunt a cap ship.

Also having the AI react when a fleet ship is indanger rather then moving the mecrchant. Give action a weight for what they do would be good.

Allowing adjacent warships to fire after a merchants move would be good but your suggestion to up the merchie hit points a bit would be good for balance. Otherwise, you could end up with no body playing the card because it would be a sure sinking.
Meatboy Dogfood

Return to Battleship Chess