Let the fun begin!!!

:D :) :o :shock: :( :x :evil: :idea:
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:24 am

Snagging it now.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:08 am

Just wondering, but does it seem to crash alot for you to? I get about 5 to 10 crashes for a full game hotseat.
Blackjet

Postby alltoy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 am

Blackjet wrote:Just wondering, but does it seem to crash alot for you to? I get about 5 to 10 crashes for a full game hotseat.

I got the beta last night, and tried out a game. I am also having the same issue as Blackjet with the game shutting down abruptly. I belive that it is not crashing, but exiting. Andrew, is there some debug log we can turn on to figure out how the app is shutting down? Or do you need to make a special version that we have to run?
alltoy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:06 am

Yes, I'm hearing about this now too. It seems I didn't check the "release" build enough. FYI, I develop the game in "debug" mode and recompile it in release mode. This sometimes causes some problems. I'll go through it and figure things out.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Have not been playing it in hot seat just single player mode right now and im still pretty much at sea on how things are working. The interface is a bit clunky but ill get a handle on it.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Are there any hotkeys? That would be useful! I also think the text is slightly too small. There is little to differenciate between phases of the turn.
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Ok I dont get the map screen. My empire is brkemn up across a map making if hard to build any consolidated attacking force.

Lots of stars says thiers. Who is theirs? Are they indes are they allied?

Lots of different colored starlanes are these other star kingdoms, Do they act like a unit??

Does only my home system star build ships? I cant tell where my ships are being built?

Having big problems with deploying ships to where I want them.

Attack is diffcult since I cant do it from the map board I have to write down the planets or remember the planet I have readyed for the attack since I have no access to the map board during the attac. Instead I have to work from a list of stars.

When I complete a turn and the computer attacks what Happens? All I see is me losing planets with no battle for them and no explanation on why the plant was lost .Very frustrating

However the invest and upgrade screens work fine. :)
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby alltoy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Meatboy Dogfood wrote:Attack is diffcult since I cant do it from the map board I have to write down the planets or remember the planet I have readyed for the attack since I have no access to the map board during the attac. Instead I have to work from a list of stars.

When I complete a turn and the computer attacks what Happens? All I see is me losing planets with no battle for them and no explanation on why the plant was lost .Very frustrating

I was going to wait and play more before raising issues, but Meatboy beat me to it. I agree with these two points.

I found it fustrating on moving ships from planet to planet. I had to cancel a few times to look at the star map to remember which planet was which, and what I wanted to do.

Second, the other player turns went by so fast with no real feedback that I was not realizing what is happening. I was loosing planets without realizing it.
alltoy

Postby alltoy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 pm

On a different issue, I expressed concern to Andrew about using the name battlestar. Even if it is not registered, I worry that an organization with deep pockets may threaten legal action against apezone. The alternative name I can come up with is Battlesun or BattleDreadnaught.

Also on this point, while playing, It was difficult to differentiate between the 3 different classes of ships. They all look very similar to me. The battlestar and battleship are almost of the same size.

I would suggest that they be of different shapes and sizes and maybe colors.

I would like to hear other opinions on these issues?
alltoy

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Actually Battle Star is commom property I belive. It has been used by pulp Sci-fi mags of yesteryear. Battlestars were part of the Lensman universe by EE DOc Smith. SO that should be no problem.

Third time through a game and I am starting to get it. However the commets above still stand. I approached the game as a player grabbing a demo off the net to see if it is a good game to play. Here is how I went about it.

1. Grab game and load it up.

2. Skim directionns and begin play.

3. Stumble around in the inter face and lose with no good explaination why I was losing.

The fact that I test a lot made me work through everything till i figured out how it all works, but I know lots of folks that would throw up thier hands in frustration and uninstall the game. I want this thing to make Andrew filthy rich.

Once I got through the game mechcanics it looks Like a game that will have some deep play and sneaky tricks to be used. In short an excellent staragy game. However to get folks to buy it it has to be immeaditly playable.
There are a couple of ways to do that that I can think of.

1. Add a tutorial to go over game play in the form of a mini map that shows how all the game mechcanics works.

2. Streamline the interface to make it easyier to work with. Make it you can work off the star map much like you can in Stun. Have the deploy scrrens wqork with the map board. Thats my thoughts for now back to gameplay and some map making.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby mjanecki » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:41 pm

:D
Andrew
DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED THIS IS AN EXCELLENT GAME but it has problems and it seems to play differently from your other games. This game definitely has potential but it is not there yet.

Mark Janecki
mjanecki

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:48 pm

What specific actions do you want hotkeys for?

Define clunky? Fonts too small? Colors? Post how you'd do it.

You star out with stars scattered here and there. It's your job to put things back together again. Humpty Dumpty? :)

"Theirs" means "not yours". Just a quick way to say the star isn't yours, that it belongs to one of the other players. I'll see if it can be removed or made less confusing.

Okay, you find the colored lines confusing. Apparently, your not the only one. Lines are used to define starlanes. Lines of the same color are used to connect stars within the same sector. Sectors are akin to continents in Risk. Maybe I need to rethink this. Maybe stars within the same sector should have a colored nebula around it and starlanes should either all be the same color or given a player's color when they connect between stars owned by one player (or gray when connecting stars belonging to 2 different players). Feedback?

This isn't Starships Unlimited. It doesn't have the same depth and so is more abstract. It doesn't matter who builds your starship, you get them each turn based on the rules of the game. Check the help. It follows from the game of Risk.

Can you please explain in detail on how deployment is a problem? As I see it, you have a pool of new ships. You pick a star, deploy some or all of your pool of new starships there. Repeat until you've deployed all your new ships.

I can see how Attack/fortify from a list of stars may be a problem. I didn't go the map route because of the larger scrolling maps. What I originally planned on doing is to display a smaller map to the left of the list of stars and to hilight the 2 stars as you moved your cursor over a button. What do you think? I can post a markup if you'd like.

Okay the AI turns may need some fixing up. It was a case of giving an executive summary vs a more detailed and possibly long winded approach. I chose the former. You see the aftermath of your opponent's movements. I color the planet text either yellow or orange to indicate changes in ownership since your last turn. Orange text means the star was lost by you while yellow means the star was lost by one of your opponents. You can click on a star with yellow/orange text and see the attack info. For example: "Blue house's Sol (2-3-3) defeats Indies' Bootis (1-2-3)". Where 2-3-3 is the attacking Sol fleet and (1-2-3) is the defending Bootis fleet.

I could hilight things by showing a ring of fire or something too. I could also go the long route of showing each attack, having you hit continue or something until the ai finishes. Thoughts?

I'll wait for more feedback before considering changing Battlestars to something else. I like Battlesuns, though.

I will make battlecruisers noticibly smaller than battleship. Ditto for battleships compares to battlestars. The static graphics are also not scaled properly. Of course, they are suppose to look similar.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:52 pm

Meatboy Dogfood wrote:Ok I dont get the map screen. My empire is brkemn up across a map making if hard to build any consolidated attacking force.

Lots of stars says thiers. Who is theirs? Are they indes are they allied?

Lots of different colored starlanes are these other star kingdoms, Do they act like a unit??

Does only my home system star build ships? I cant tell where my ships are being built?

Having big problems with deploying ships to where I want them.

Attack is diffcult since I cant do it from the map board I have to write down the planets or remember the planet I have readyed for the attack since I have no access to the map board during the attac. Instead I have to work from a list of stars.

However the invest and upgrade screens work fine. :)

First off, have you ever played Risk? If you haven't get a bunch of people who you wouldn't mind getting furious at and play.

The scatering at the begining is a very integral part of risk that forces you to make tough choices right from the begining.

Yes, the theirs is a comment I forgot about. Any planet that isn't yours has a tooltip that say theirs. I'd advise changing this to enemy (or enemies name in multi) and indie.

About the it being hard to see what you are attacking. I don't find it hard to just look before I click on the planet. Even if I don't, it isn't hard to see most of the time just from what types of ships are on the planet.

Once again, I definitely agree with the display of enemy turns though. Not enough is accurately shown. Sometimes in a hot seat game the planet changes show up for one of the human players, but disappear instantly. I don't remember the specifics though.
alltoy wrote:
I was going to wait and play more before raising issues, but Meatboy beat me to it. I agree with these two points.

I found it fustrating on moving ships from planet to planet. I had to cancel a few times to look at the star map to remember which planet was which, and what I wanted to do.

I think this is less of a problem than it sounds. I already know what planet I am bringing ships from when I reach that stage.

alltoy wrote:On a different issue, I expressed concern to Andrew about using the name battlestar. Even if it is not registered, I worry that an organization with deep pockets may threaten legal action against apezone. The alternative name I can come up with is Battlesun or BattleDreadnaught.

Also on this point, while playing, It was difficult to differentiate between the 3 different classes of ships. They all look very similar to me. The battlestar and battleship are almost of the same size.

I would suggest that they be of different shapes and sizes and maybe colors.

I would like to hear other opinions on these issues?

I have also thought the names need changing. I have already decided it probably isn't copyright infringement a while back, but now that I have played I think the names are too hard to differentiate as Andrew probably knows from my e-mails. I agree that if not the size, the coloring of the ships needs to be tinkered. I often loose one of those ships with only missles (as I've said, the name doesn't stick) and thought it was a battlestar.

As I don't think the whole topic needs quoting this time, I too agree there needs to be some sort of way to teach the user how to play. I think I have mentioned a tutorial in one of my many e-mails, but I'm not sure. StUn was hard to learn, but at least it had those tips.

*****END of Editing******further thoughts on Andrew's long post to go into my next post that mentions my screen resolution****
Last edited by Blackjet on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 pm

Just curious, what resolution are people running the game at? You can find out by pressing F8 and looking at the top-right of the screen.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Next

Return to Starship Kingdom