Computer Player's turn

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

Computer Player's turn

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:51 pm

One of the most mentioned problems with the beta is how the AI is presenting its turn. It happens so fast that people would like more feedback.

For the record it currently works as follows:
The computer player goes through all the phases of a turn. You can sometimes see the numbers changing on a star thats under attack. When it comes back to you turn you are presented with a map that hilights all the stars that have changed hands since your last turn. Namely, stars with orange text were lost by you and stars with yellow text have been lost by someone else. If you want to see what battle(s) tooke place there, you'd click on the star and it would show you the starting fleet sizes.

This was done as a kind of executive summary, but its apparent that its too confusing and more feedback is needed.

I can change it so that I tell you what the computer player is about to do (I'm thinking attack phase only) and then pausing to let you acknowledge and continue. I see no problem with allowing you to view the combat if you want. This will probably get people stating that there's too much button pushing, so the option to skip passed it all should be provided.

Another option that I've seen similar game employ is showing explosions over the territory under attack. The explosions last long enough for you to get a sense that an attack is occuring.

What's your take on this?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:01 pm

I think you should have an explosion or something with the planet(s) under attack. It should also be possible to go back and review the "battle stats" of every AI battle after the turn is over. This makes the actual technicalities of battle accessable to those who want it, but not those who don't.
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Explosions over a planet fighting would do nicely. Also slowing down the Ai attack camp[ain for the turn so the player can watch it unfold would help to see what is going on. Right now it happens so quick you end up thinking what the *^^%$&^ happened. Having a battle summary would be good to.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:37 pm

What about something like this on the footer when the computer player is about to attack:

Bootis (2-3-6) is attacking Red House's Sol (1-2-3) [Show Battle] [Skip It] [Skip All]

Where [] = buttons. Show battle would actually show you the battle, something you can't see now when the AI attacks. "Skip It" would be like an acknowledgement and would move to the next battle and show its message. "Skip All" would show a few explosions on the map to represent the battles and move to the end (kind of like what you've just suggested). Actually all methods could show explosions on the map.

I'm not in favor of keeping battle stats for every single enemy battle for the last 2 turns. Things have to move along. This game isn't that in depth. Note that the way things work now, at the start of a turn you can click on stars that were conquered recently and see who attacked. Is this helpful?

Question: Should the game pause at the end of another player's turn so you can keep track of things? E.g. Indies' turn is complete [Continue]
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:13 am

I like the idea of the show battle skip skip all. Add the graphics of explosions on the fast screen and you can see the battle unfold. Dont know if it is doable but having a ship icon move down the starlanes to its attack point would be a nice way to futher show how the attac unfolds. I dont think you need the stats of the battles unles you went into the show battle screens it would be to much.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby alltoy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:08 pm

Ok well I'm back and I am sure all of you missed me.

Andrew, I want to say that the beta 3 is significantly improved over beta 1. Now I can tell what the bad guys are doing. I spinning arrows over a system, and the [Show Battle] [Skip It] [Skip All] works well.

One thing that I noticed, is that when its blue players turn, the text pops up (then fades out) telling you its blues turn, but then I sometimes do not get the same indication that is is whites turn.

Basically, I end my turn, I see blues turn, and then its my turn again. I know that the indies have done something, but I cannot separate when blues turn ends and whites turn starts.
alltoy

Postby Blackjet » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:40 am

alltoy wrote:Ok well I'm back and I am sure all of you missed me.

Andrew, I want to say that the beta 3 is significantly improved over beta 1. Now I can tell what the bad guys are doing. I spinning arrows over a system, and the [Show Battle] [Skip It] [Skip All] works well.

One thing that I noticed, is that when its blue players turn, the text pops up (then fades out) telling you its blues turn, but then I sometimes do not get the same indication that is is whites turn.

Basically, I end my turn, I see blues turn, and then its my turn again. I know that the indies have done something, but I cannot separate when blues turn ends and whites turn starts.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed this too. Do you not show the Indie turn if they just build forces?
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Yep for both blue and inde nothing is shown to point to what they are doing unless they attack. but if you watch you can see them build and move ships they do it at a slower pace now.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Yes, if a player doesn't attack then its turn is over rather quickly. The question is whether I should put up an "Indie ends turn ... [Continue]"-type control in this case. Keep in mind, Indies have less attack choices based on their inability to attack non-white-star stars. I'm willing to discuss the idea of making Indies full "partners", if you think it will make the game play better. The disadvantage to this is that they might actually win. Of course, this should be discussed in the Improvements section. :)
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby karok » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 am

I think that making the indies a full partner will make it more interesting. It would give an added complexity to the game. also, the way it is, in a two player + indie game, if one wins the game is basically over.

If the indie players are full partners, the 2 players will have to worry about attacks from idies as each other.
karok

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:05 pm

Having the indies involed would sure change the games, {big big fleet at one point and smash} tactic that works so well now. It also could bring in room for the bribe inde screen talked about eariler.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby karok » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:26 pm

i also beleive this would be more realistic, because in a real life situation you would HAVE to hold some sizeable force back for defence in case of a counter attack.

This would force you to act more strategically, not the "get a bunch of forces and smash, ie: ogg smash, ogg sash good" strategy that is common in strategy games.
karok

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:50 pm

I'll look into providing the Indies as a full player. I'd start by making all sides have the same # of stars at the start of the game, though.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:I'll look into providing the Indies as a full player. I'd start by making all sides have the same # of stars at the start of the game, though.
If you are making the indies full fledged players, couldn't you add a third human player in too? Just the logical question.
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:10 pm

I'll hold off testing the indies as full players until the indies-join and nova-bombs are in. Then we can experiment.

Yes, logically, making the indies a human player would follow, but I don't want to do this for version 1. It would create more complications that I want to deal with at the moment.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Next

Return to Starship Kingdom