BETA 4 released!

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

BETA 4 released!

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:34 pm

I've uploaded the latest version. It completely revamps the user interface. I also fixed a problem with not showing the next player's turn on the map for quick turns like what occurs when the Indie player goes without attacking.

Note that I haven't changed the help text and icons yet. I'll do that afterwards. I've got a few more minor changes to the interface (mainly hypertext linking to to-be-created help topics).
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby alltoy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 am

There seems to be a problem with improving production. During my game I have a production level of 1. I kept adding one credit per turn to my production investment pool, and I finally reached 20 credits. From my calculations, this should guarentee that I increase my production to level 2. Just for grins, I increased it to 21 and still no joy.
alltoy

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:46 pm

Took a quick look {much like a gamer would with a demo] before going to bed late last night.

Like the buttons on the bottom but the green arrow of death was way to confusing to use right off the bat. I had no inking of how I deployed ships I just did ;also,I kept sending the wrong number of ships to attack and not knowing why I was doing it. I quess at this point I fall into the "can only right click,maybe" crowd. After I get home from work tonight I am on vacation from work, I will tear deeper into the game.

First impressions .The arrow is graphicly challanged and I want the pop open menu back. I like the new button set they look far better then the hypertext links. I like the arrows circiling the planet you select. It would be cool to

1. click planet you wish to deploy, use for attack,fority.
2. If deploy phase the window opens to let you deploy tour ship.
3. If the attack or fortify phase. The window opens, after you have selected the target planet either for attack to allow you to choose witch ships to use to attack/ forify.

Also move the button or have a second button in the menu to start the action, so an attack would look like.

Click on planet you wish to attack from.
Click on planet you wish to attack and ship window opens.
Select your ships to attack.
click on button in window to begin the attack.

Would also be nice to have all the options of show battle skip battle available to the player so you could watch the space fight, or just watch the numbers change over the panet as the player wants.

Long post for a short first impression :oops: Like I said eariler I'll get back to this after work tonight.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:11 pm

Ok on second play through the green arrow works and it can be controlled with a right click. I got baffled buy the directions. Once I played with it it became simple to weild. That being said it is just plain ugly and needs to be spiffed up a bit. Suggestions form the beta team? My two cents would to have the arrow outlined in meatl and transparent expext for the ships so you can see the map green is just to jarring for me.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby alltoy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:31 pm

Green arrow ugly and difficult, needs eyecandy. I got used to it, but I screwed up lots if times, and sent a minimal fleet.

I liked the old style of the screen that let you quickly add all of a type of ships, but I wasnt able to see the map.

Could the two concepts be combined?
alltoy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:59 pm

I've changed the green arrow to a dark grey one. Looks much better.

You screw up and send a minimum fleet? Is this during the attack phase where the #s are shown at the bottom of the screen or the fortify phase?

Note that pressing the right mouse button will xfer all ships of a given type.

Don't you think something similar to the old way would take up too much screen space? Something like this?

Code: Select all
    *      <SS xfered>   <SS available>
*          <BB xfered>   <BB available>
    *      <CC xfered>  <CC available>
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby alltoy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm

I agree that the old way was too much real estate. The new way is great and fast if you want to send the entire fleet (leaving behind the single ship), but is more cumbersome if you just want to send a smaller fleet. There was times that I was moving to fast and I accidently sent just battlestars (for some reason the right mouse btn key wasnt recogonized or I didnt click it enough) but thought I had the entire fleet. Mostly it was just my inattention, but it fustrated me. I suspect that others may do the same.

I guess that forcing the user to use the keyboard to send less than everything causes confusion. Esp. when the entire gameplay interface up to this point has been the mouse.
alltoy

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:03 am

I have gotten used to the arrow and can move fleets around fine now. But alltoy has a point about mouse click VS keyboard. If it couldbe done all with mouse click it would work smoother for first timers. {Note my just try it reaction first time in thread} Having ship colums in the arrows with a button woul clear that. Problem is could it be made small enough and still look good?
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:15 pm

By keyboard, I'm guessing that you're talking about the tab key? If you want to send one ship you left-click. If you want to send all ships you press right-click. If you want to send 5 ships you press shift-left-click. If you want to tab between starship types you press the tab key. If you want to clear all the ships, you press the backspace key. I see 4 keys being introduced here. If you want to send a few ships you can use left-click and possibly the tab key. The other possibility is to use the right-click to tab between starship types and to use the shift-click/ctrl-click to transfer all/5 ships at a time. All this requires you to have the cursor over the star.

The game shows you what you are about to transfer. How can an interface be designed for the "inattentive" player? I think you're asking for too much.

Putting up a popup with buttons on it would be a pain, requiring you to manually remove it. This would slow down things. I've noticed that other Risk games use a similar approach to what I've done.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:25 am

Kepp it the way it is then it works now. Just as long as the hideous green is gone.
Meatboy Dogfood

Return to Starship Kingdom