Boosting production

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

Boosting production

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:34 pm

How does investing in production work. When I invest 3 credits in turn one that gives me a 15% chance to advance at the start of next turn?

Does that carry over to each turn? So if in turn two I do not invest anymore at the start of turn three do I still have a 15% chance to advance?

Once I gain production two does the investment pool go back to zero, or does credits invested continue to work?

How many production levels are there?

Right now in beta four the production is broken. I think somebody else mentioned this I took it up to a 150% and got nothing for it.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:16 am

The production isn't broken. It works like buying a lottery ticket. Each ticket gives you a 5% chance of winning (can only be one winner). If you spent 10 credits in one turn then you get 10 tickets. If your 3rd ticket wins then you bump up a level and all the remaining tickets are discarded. Another time you could buy one ticket and win on it. This is the random element that the Risk cards provided and that I wanted to add to the game, except you have more control here. There is no memory on the # of tickets you bought (e.g. having bought 20 tickets beforehand doesn't mean you'll win on the next ticket buy). It's inherently risky.

There are 4 levels.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 am

If it is like a lotto you might have the invested credits zero out each turn then. Right now it looksa like your building up to a 100% chance otherwise.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:00 am

I figured you might want to keep track of how much you've already spent. I suppose its not that important though.

Do you see the reasons for trying to make it a risky venture rather than something that's guaranteed if you spend enough money?

If I maybe change the name to something like Invest in future technology then I can also give a supernova bomb with every update in production. :P
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 pm

That would work well I think. Right now it is way to easy to think if I invest ill soon be at 100% so getting rid of the amount invested would clear that up.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Things make so much more sense now!!!! I had thought it was cumulative. I think we can come up with a better phrase than "future technology" but the idea seems much better! Also, sorry I've been less active since last friday, I've been on vacation and that means I finally get to sleep! Boy have I slept too! LOL
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Maybe just keep it as it is. Just mention that you get a supernova bomb too.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby alltoy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:23 pm

Ok, well now this clears things up for me also.

However, I kinda liked the concept of investing for improved production rather than the the lotto concept.

The way I look at it is that I am investing in factories and other things that will improve my production. I should not loose that investment via a turn by turn gamble. Its kinda like investing in other tech improvements that you are always going to get, but in this case it may take a few turns and a bit of more investment to roll the 7 or 11.

If it stays at the lotto concept, perhaps raising the percent per credit to 10% would make it more attractive.

I would be willing to take a gamble on 5 credits to get a 50% chance, but currently with the enemy breathing down my neck 5 credits only buys 25% and I would rather spend it on ships (this is why I dont goto Vegas much ). :lol:
alltoy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, I'm no Vegas fan either but I wanted some element of risk taking in the game. It adds drama. What I could do is increase the odds after each credit spent. Maybe 1% per try so that, for example, after 5 credits spent you have a 10% chance of getting it.

I don't want this to be too easy or predictable, otherwise everyone will automatically do it, especially with the supernova bombs included.

I could also make it a max of 20 credits before bumping up to the next level. In this case its like it would normally take 20 credits to get, but you might get lucky and get it for a lot less (e.g. 1 credit).

I will also add a novice mode to single player where you will have greater odds of getting it (maybe starting at 10%). This mode will also start you off with more stars and give you and extra # of credits each turn.

Thoughts?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm

Now that I understand that it is a lotto like event . I am all for it staying the way it is. It is like drawing a card in risk, sometimes you get lucky, and with the addition of a novabomb gambling is a good thing. :lol:
Just need to make it claer credits spent last turn do nothing for the turn you are in now.
However the +1% percent increase per extra credit spent is just the thing for a player in dire straights.

Dont belive you need a novice mode eithter once the game is played throught a few times ythe system become easy to deal with.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby alltoy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Ok I like that better. I just didnt feel good about the pouring money into a lotto for production improvements and getting a "sorry you you loose, next player step right up" concept.

The way you describe it, sounds better. "The more you play... The more likely you are to win!!! :D "
alltoy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

So you guys like the +1% increase after every credit spent? Or the flat 5% up to max of 20 credits? Or a combo of both?

And yes, the novice mode is needed.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:25 pm

I think you should have the +1% and the 5%. This way it adds yet another layer of imminent vs. future advancement.
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:08 pm

I mean flat 5% or 5%+1% increment each credit spent. Are you talking about the latter when you say (+1% and the 5%)?

What about a 20 credit max, meaning: if you send 20 credits you are automatically bumped to the next level?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 am

Keep it lotto style but add the advantage of getting a 1% per extra cerd you waste/invest to a max of 15%. Dont like the invest twenty get a production boost. Like the randomness of the system now.
Meatboy Dogfood

Next

Return to Starship Kingdom