Boosting production

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

Postby Blackjet » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:50 am

I like the combination. Invest 1 you get 5% invest 2 you get 11% invest 3 you get 17% and so on.
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Same thing for me i'm just more stingy. :wink: Considering you win the abilty to double your production and a fleet killing bomb it should not be tooo easy.

Im for
5% for one
6% for two
7% for three ECT up yo a 15% chance

Might have it go up by 2% a credit but still top out at a top 15% chance.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Meatboy Dogfood wrote:Same thing for me i'm just more stingy. :wink: Considering you win the abilty to double your production and a fleet killing bomb it should not be tooo easy.

Im for
5% for one
6% for two
7% for three ECT up yo a 15% chance

Might have it go up by 2% a credit but still top out at a top 15% chance.

Only 15%? That seems rather low. At least give them 20% without too much of a sacrifice. If you are losing and need the production upgrade, you probably don't have many credits to spend. Maybe 2 or 3. You probably won't get it with a 7% chance of getting one. Those odds stink!
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:13 pm

It's a problem with no way to generate credits. But to high will cause those with credits to hog up on Novaboms to just do in anybody else.
With an easy 20% for three credits of risk. I would be doing that most every turn to baomb them all back to the stone age.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, you can only get 3 nova bombs. That means you can't completely whipe them out with them. It is the 4 guys per perchase that would own.
Blackjet

Postby karok » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:55 pm

I suggest a compromise. Let it be lotto style, but at some point let it happen anyway (for ex: invest 40 credits for full upgrade, but you can get up to a 20% chance to upgrade ahead of schedule evey turn).

This would let some with extremely bad luck, get the ability to upgrade. [/quote]
karok

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:21 pm

I ran some simulations on the different ideas and came up with the following:

(1+investments)%, no limit. Which works like this:

1st credit gives a 1% chance
2nd credit gives a 2% chance
10th credit gives an 11% chance.

This results in almost a bell curve (not really but V like) with the peak being around 12 credits.

For the novice mode: its
1st credit gives a 5% chance
2nd credit gives a 6% chance

Resulting in a less V like curve peaking around 9 credits.

These are the kind of results I want. You should have a better chance the more credits you spend.

Making it a flat 5% gave an average of 19 credits and could sometimes result in >100 credits being spent.

Although it may seem extreme at 1% for your 1st credit. It is still possible to get it the 1st try. It's just extremely rare. But unlike the flat rate, it will give you the result sooner.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby karok » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:50 am

I still think a cap should be put on it somewhere, even if the cap is set at 100 credits (ie: something rediculously high). If there is no cap, I can see some shunning this feature entirely.

although, after thought. That may be the idea.
Jason
karok

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am

I would if I thought it would help, but things cap out in a natural way. If it was a flat rate then I would cap out at about 20 credits. If you saw the curves you wouldn't worry about a cap. And yes, some people won't want to take a chance on this long-term strategy. That's just fine by me.

Anyways, you'll be able to try it for yourself later today. I'm just updating the help text and plan on uploading the new beta later today.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:09 am

I can't wait. I didn't get to try the game out with my family because they were too busy. Oh well right? It isn't multiplayer that is important, though it would have got some new feedback on the game.
Blackjet

Previous

Return to Starship Kingdom