Supernova bomb

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

Supernova bomb

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Got to thinking about the Super Nova bomb, and had some questions?

Tied to production only?
Could you get one capturing a planet of somebody who has one?
How many can you have at one time?

You can reach a leel four production could you have four bombs? That could change the game to spend creds to boost production to get bombs to kill all major foe fleet concentrations.

Should It be able to kill an entire fleet?
Should it have a random kill rate from 100% down to say 40% so it does not become an all powerful responce?

Just a few thoughts for balance.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 pm

I was thinking that SN bombs would be a powerful but extremely rare weapon. By tieing it to the production level, you'll only be able to have 3 per game (1->2, 2->3, 3->4). You can and probably should hold them until you need them. The idea behind it would be to punish your opponent if he creates a mega fleet. Using it on such an opponent may help you turn the tide.

Also by tieing it to production, you get nicer short-term vs long-term strategies to consider.

I don't think its a problem to destroy the entire enemy fleet. Its not like you'll ever get enough of them to wipe out all the enemy fleets and if you did, they didn't have many to begin with.

I see its value in being a deterent to attacking with one large attack fleet. Maybe it could also be used as a mine. You secretly destroy the fleet that enters the system where you hid it. Of course, it may have to be smart enough to "leave" the system if the attacking force isn't big enough (already I see problems with this idea :( ).
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Have the bomb be a launchable attack during the attack phase that can target any star on the board, however it is the only attack the player using it can make that turn.

The attack will leave asystem empty and any near by indie will occupy the planet if it cant be reached by any nearby noble house in the course of the following turn.

If the novabomb is not used in an attack. It will defend your last planet by destroying any fleet sent to take the last system.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:31 pm

What if the fleet consisted of only 2 ships after the battle was over? I wouldn't want to use it then!!!
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:04 pm

I wouldn't use one on a fleet of only 2 ships. They would be used before you attack with ships. In fact, you would set up an attack as you normally do, but just check off that you want to deploy the bomb. The bomb would destroy the entire defending fleet and your attacking fleet would swoop in afterwards to claim the star.

I've posted in another thread about not liking Meatboys idea on using the bomb but after re-reading it. It does deserve some more discussion.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby karok » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:08 pm

I suggest going another way with the mine idea.

What about every player getting a certain number either per game,
or per level. That player could install that "mine" in any area that wasn't adjacent to an enemy (ie: you couldn't install them "just" infront of an attacking force, but a space or two away you could), and it would take a turn to "install" them.

A mine can only be defused by a scout, and every player gets a certain number of scouts in a game/ level (for example: 6 scouts, and 3 mines).
These scouts would have no attack/ no defence and only can be "noticed" if another scout is with the enemies forces.

This I think would give the game a kinda stratego feel.

I also think that if we get away from showing EXACT numbers of forces on a star, but instead say "lightly, medium, or heavily defended" (or in some other way approximate the amount of forces on the neighboring star), unless a scout was sent to find out the "exact number".
I think this would lend a more realistic feel, also it would those who arn't playing strategically, but just massing forces and continually attacking a possibility of underestimating forces, and loosing a decisive battle.

What are your thoughts.
karok

Postby Blackjet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:06 pm

No, we need the exact amount of ships on the planet! That is the whole point of the game! Well, about half of it!!!
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 pm

Karok, I thought of doing the scout thing, uncovering exact enemy fleet sizes by going in but I think this would add too much micro-management to the game.

I'm not really interested in introducing mines as another level of defense. If I can't figure a good way to use bombs in a defensive mode, then I'll just keep them as offensive weapons.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:50 pm

Bomb in defensive mode would look something like this.

You have 2 bombs and blue has a huge fleet next to one of your planets and attacks you get the screen saying show battle skip battle, but you also get a button that says Use Novabomb? With a number showing how many you have.

If you use the bomb you get a big explosion over the planet that goes on and on killing the attacking fleet. Your fleet would them move into the system and leave a single guard ship behind in the attacking system.

Problem with that is what happens if you have only one ship? do you get a spawned battlecruiser to occupy the system? Or can the other player deploy ships in the fortify phase to retake the system?
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Problem with this is that the events have already happened and you're really just seing a replay of the other side's events.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:23 am

So the computer has already completeed it's turns and it is just showing a reveiw of the turn?
That would make it hard to select a bomb for defence.
Meatboy Dogfood

Return to Starship Kingdom