BETA 6 released

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

BETA 6 released

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:01 am

Hmm, seemed to have removed the help balloons from the last beta so I've added them back. Sorry about that.

List of changes:
-put back help balloons
-improved star assignments to players (old saved games now obsolete)
-Added 2 new sector colors (cyan and gold)
-Added editor verification logic so that sectors of less than 3 stars are invalid
-Added editor verification logic so that sectors can't be split
-Corrected the classic map to remove a sector split (both south america and asia were red sector)

Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby alltoy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 pm

I like it! I got a nova bomb and cleaned house! I need to play it more and see what it looks like with the indies joining.

One comment, the UI for attacking with the nova bomb is slightly confusing. The button has a 0 "zero" in it. I took it to meant how many bombs I had available. Once I clicked it, it became a check box and I realized what the button meant. Andrew I recommend that you use some other symbol or leave the box empty when unchecked.
alltoy

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:25 pm

Well, what's the opposite of a checkmark? An X?
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Need to build the Nova bomb a small model. I'm for having a smiley face rush onto the screen and then explode. :shock: Have a nice day!!!! :lol:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby mjanecki » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:14 pm

:evil: :roll:
I hate to be a spoil sport but are we not suppose to make sure this game works the way it is before adding a bunch of code which may or may not cause it to crash? :evil: :twisted:
mjanecki

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:39 pm

True but it is working pretty sound as is. Plus a model even a simple one takes time so suggestions now are good. :wink:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Playing the lastest beta gets a few small thoughts.

1. The explaintion on how the arrow works is nessary but it looks out of place. Could the text be made to show up in the info box below next to the the turn and phase colum. You have a large black space across the top of the info box and the info could pop up there when the arrow is active there. Getting it out of space would help lots.

2. Could we get a production level indication up in the deploy ships info screen? Put it may be next to the action buttons. You could even have it flash and have the nuber turn if it goes up. Adding that Tada sound I posted elsewhere when it does.

3. Any chance of being able to choose an Icon for your house ships?
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:14 pm

I don't think I'll change the supernova code. I like it as it is.

Not sure about the help text for the arrow. May consider a semi-transparent background for the help balloon though.

I'll see if there's any room for the production level on the deploy screen. I don't want shoe horn it in. You can get your production level from the Stats popup and you'll see the # of techs this turn be >0 if you reach a new level.

What icon are you talking about? The star? If so, as stated before, it would present a bit more problems for me on the models.

I'm ready to move to the multiplayer phase of the game. I've decided to pair down things to the bare minimum, though. Rather than have you register to play online, which gives you the benefit of permanent player stats, I'll make it so you don't need to register, but no player stats.

Rather than black and white lists, you can limit who joins your game by forcing them to enter a password that you've chosen. Of course, you'd have to contact the player you want to join with the password so that only they can play. This will cut down on a lot of work for me. If the game takes off and there is demand then I'll revisit a more feature filled online service.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:36 pm

Right now having the arrows instructions go all the way arcross the starmap is just jarring to me. Transparency may help that or consolidating the text so it dont cover the whole map might help. I was think of down in turn screen to get it out of the way while still giving needed info.

Yeah I was talking about the stars on the models. It would not effect the game and would be a nice piece of eye candy plus a selling point. The abilty for folks to interact more with thier fleet, however maybe for a latter version. :wink:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 pm

The problem with having players interact with their fleets is the amount of micromanagement that would be required. Each battle would be broken up into lots of turns and the game would take forever to finish.

I'll look into allowing some customization.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby mjanecki » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:38 pm

I think we tested this beta enough lets go with the multi-player and maybe the sound :D :P
mjanecki

Postby Blackjet » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:21 am

With finals coming up next week I've been a little busy. I'll be running down the new beta later today though!
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:52 pm

Ready to multiplay. Should be fun to fight through my firewall. :lol:

On the star Icons as far as for inter action all im looking for is a way to customize the fleet a little bit, but that can come latter if it is a pain.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:26 am

If you replace allegiance.png with your own graphic, it should replace the 5-pointed stars on the map. Just make sure you have a white image and a transparent background.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:04 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:If you replace allegiance.png with your own graphic, it should replace the 5-pointed stars on the map. Just make sure you have a white image and a transparent background.

But will doing that bust the game in multiplay?
Meatboy Dogfood

Next

Return to Starship Kingdom