BETA 7 released!

Discuss the game of Starship Kingdom

BETA 7 released!

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:07 pm

Major changes:
-Multiplayer (allows you to check the online game room and sit down and play a game)
-Lots of other little stuff that I'm too tired to put down here

I'll add sound and clean up things some more for the next (hopefully last) major version.

thanks all,
Andrew
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Downloading it right now! I really haven't checked my e-mail in an hour and a half? I'm surprised!

Also, I really like the game's icon. It looks cool!!!!

EDIT: Ok, so I have downloaded and installed it. I have started an online game. I think it connects because it knows if I am NOT connected. However, does it find games the same way you play them? I mean this in a connection sort of way. If it is using http the whole way it seems it would work. I still don't see how it could be getting past the proxy. I doesn't let ANYTHING through even if it uses port 80. Really. Well it also shows my game there, so I assume that means it is working!!!! :)

I don't really like the pop up thing coming up. I think you should replace the game set up (the left side) with something saying you are waiting for people to join and keep the game browser on the right. Also, it should keep resetting the refresh timer if it didn't refresh. For example if I pull out my network cable and tell it to refresh.

Will this game have any sort of chat? I think that is a must for a game that will take as long to finish as this one should.
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:32 am

Well the multiplayer side works I just found blackjet online. I got through my fire wall with no problems so that works good.

Will need to have a chat abilty, also might need a sound to annoounce the arrival of a player rightnow Black is up but not about. :lol:
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:36 am

You found me? :) It couldn't play though?
Blackjet

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:51 am

Yep it found you with the map backdoor up. I was blue and it was red players turn. Game kicked me out after about six minutes saying that thier was no action or possible resignation.

Also a note on the game join screen. I like blackjets idea for having it show up on one side of the screen. If that is a to big a task then make the background of the screen way transparent so you can see the action behind the screen.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:22 am

Meatboy Dogfood wrote:Yep it found you with the map backdoor up. I was blue and it was red players turn. Game kicked me out after about six minutes saying that thier was no action or possible resignation.

Also a note on the game join screen. I like blackjets idea for having it show up on one side of the screen. If that is a to big a task then make the background of the screen way transparent so you can see the action behind the screen.

Oh, looks to be my fault then. Sorry I didn't notice. I checked it a little less often than I thought there. Unless Andrew plans on there being many, many more players, he should come up with some way of notifying you when you have an opponent too. That gives us a high chance actually being there when someone finally joins.

Also, we need to set up some matches. I am generaly not free until after 9 or 10 PM EST today because of two finals and the studying for the second. How about you guys?

Also, could there be some sort of rankings set up? At least a win/loss/tie record? It adds to, for me at least, the joy of playing online even if it looks like 0-99-0. :lol:
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:20 am

I can move the "waiting for someone to join" popup to the left, so you can keep an eye on the game room.

I'll look into a notification system. It would be cool if you can be playing a single-player game, make a request for a new online game and then be told when someone joins your game.

Related to this (at least for me) is the user slots. Right now there are 4, each one can have a different name. Maybe a better way would be to get one screen name and have an online channel (slot) and an offline channel. So if you are waiting for an online game (in your online channel) then you can switch to single player (and switch to your single player channel) to play single-player while you wait. Could even have a different "channel" for each play mode (e.g. online, single player, hotseat, and demo).
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea. If I had been checking more often, would the multiplayer have worked through the proxy based on what meatboydogfood and I have said?
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:00 pm

I'm guessing yes, as you were able to create a new game table and get back the information in your game room list.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Not to mention we are playing! LOL
Windows just quit the game.
Here is the error report it gave:
AppName: stark.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: stark.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000a7df0

I had clicked skip all. Rejoining AGAIN...

Ok, it has now crashed three times. I guess you shouldn't have taken my planet! LOL

Ok, I've done skip all, skip battle and show battle. All make that error. I'm not sure why and the error report is mostly garbage. Maybe the offset is usefull, but what is it the offset of?
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Not sure, email me you saved games and I'll take a look.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Meatboy Dogfood » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:02 pm

Blackjet I should be available around your time I work afternoons right now so I will be home about 11:30pm CST.
Meatboy Dogfood

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Well, right now I "can't" play as Andrew is seeing if he can figure out why our game crashed right as he started owning me.
Blackjet

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Blackjet, feel free to start a new online game. I've learned all I can from the last one. I've got to play around with things some more. From what I can tell, you selected to research armor at 2 stars one turn. For some reason, on my end, it saw the 2nd star's request as a request to cancel the research so it only did one research. Strange.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby Blackjet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Andrew Ewanchyna wrote:Blackjet, feel free to start a new online game. I've learned all I can from the last one. I've got to play around with things some more. From what I can tell, you selected to research armor at 2 stars one turn. For some reason, on my end, it saw the 2nd star's request as a request to cancel the research so it only did one research. Strange.
Is that what caused it? I'll remember to not do the same research again! I guess that is a bad thing!!!!

EDIT: I'm done MUCH earlier than I expected on my final. Yes, I think I did good. Anyway, let me know if you want to play. AIM: GenBlackjet
Blackjet

Next

Return to Starship Kingdom