A form of mod

Talk about the game or make suggestions.

A form of mod

Postby ItchyFlea » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 am

I have been reading the stun3.pdf help file and came across how much research each type of person contributes.
I had in the past attempted to see if it was possible to either increase or decrease the amount of time it took to research a specific item, and failed.
Reading the .pdf file has possibly helped me in attempting to find the memory address that is attached to research.
At the moment I have yet to find it.
I still haven't even really got a clue as to what value I need to find to identify it. But I believe i'll eventually find it.

How does this tie into a mod?

Well, what I hope to accomplish is first how to identify the time research takes, and then to try and find the memory addresses given to various weapons.
Once both have been found, although still difficult, it may be possible to get Cheat Engine 5.5 to help by modifying the memory addresses as time progresses inside the game. (To facilitate new research times)
Don't get me wrong, I like various aspects of the game, but theres only so many times you can play with the various weapons and various ways you can implement the technologies into ship designs.
I'm not really wanting to replace the weapons, but rather change their values, both the research time and the power of them. (Standoffs are an example).

Of course, I highly doubt i'll be able to do this myself. And trying to find the memory addresses could possibly take forever if it's even possible.

Andrew: Would you be able to help in any way?
Possibly giving me/us a table of how long each technology takes to research (The units used inside the game's code).
And anything else that might be useful.
Do you think this could be done, or am I wasting my time and others time if anybody wishes to help?

Or are you able to provide tools that could be used to easily make mods for this game?
I know mods can be made, but i'd like to go a little further with mods.
ItchyFlea

Re: A form of mod

Postby ItchyFlea » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:12 am

A sort of update:
I re-read the license agreement for Starships Unlimited and my interpretation is that it is alright to create mods by modifying the game files.
So I downloaded the first Hex Editor I could find and had a look at stun.ga (XVI32 for those wondering)
Needless to say, I have no idea what i'd be looking for, so basically I told it to search for different things, and eventually came across the Research Index, the part that tells you what does what, etc.
I've known for quite a long time that there are only a few extremely minor errors in it (The starships and their number of components)
So I modified those and the game still runs and displays the now corrected info (Well, I only loaded it up and loaded my current game to see if it worked)
- I also changed the line regarding that ships "Must contain a generator, drive and computer" to what each ships' respective turn rate is.

Andrew: I would like to know from you if doing this is against your wishes. Even though it didn't seem to be in the license agreement, this is your game, and you ultimately dictate the terms of the license. (If this is against your wishes, I will immediately stop doing this)
I would also like to know if you are willing to help me in finding within this file (or whatever file) the data related to weapon specifications.
I have a few ideas in mind for changing the weapons damage and number of shots, as well as changing the information about Bio Armor. Mainly, I believe it shouldn't ever be destroyed, but only ever reduced down to 1%. Which seems to happen sometimes, but not always.
ItchyFlea

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:45 am

I have no problem with you doing this.

The problem with changing stuff like weapons damage, etc. is that I've hardcoded it, via tables, within the game. What's in the .ga file is just the help file stuff.

I'd have to dig up the details of the .ga file, but it essentially, bundles a bunch of files within it.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby ItchyFlea » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:56 pm

That's great.
I figured it was a group of files in one. That would explain where the textures and other various game information would be held.
I also figured that you had hardcoded the weapons information. From my own experience tinkering with programming that it's basically easier to hardcode all the required info rather than having to load it from individual files.
ItchyFlea

Postby ItchyFlea » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 pm

A 'sandbox' saved game of Starships Unlimited.
[url]http://rapidshare.com/files/256662918/Sandbox.sav[/url]

As the name of the saved game says, it's a sort of sandbox saved game.
There is one opponent, the Avians and they are still in the Atomic Age.
You, the player, are humans and have two worlds and are in the Singularity Age and are at war with the Avians.
You also have one Scout Starship within view of the Avian Homeworld. Being a Scout it is purely defensive, with no weapons onboard.
All other starships were sent to Sol and scrapped.
To get the Avians going all you need to do is give them $1000 cash. (Offer to them as a gift)

This saved game shows two bugs within the game. First, a system that is still owned by a long since defeated enemy. (There is no way to undo that) as well as the Avians which for some reason got themselves stuck for cash and have not been able to do anything, yet managed to not get themselves killed off during the game.

The game itself was 8 Civs, given random advantages at the beginning. The humans were given the combat advantage. During the game the Human ally started a war with the avians, which is why you are still at war with them (They just won't end the war) The game was played at skill level 3.

Andrew: I have created a patch file for stun3.exe for the music fix. Would you like me to post a link for it? (I have it uploaded on my RapidShare account.)
ItchyFlea

Postby ItchyFlea » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:34 am

Andrew: I know i'm asking a lot of you and posting a lot lately.
Are you able to provide me with a way of modifying the weapons and research table within the game? Or at least enough information abou said tables for me to be able to find them within the .exe and edit them myself?

That is, of course, if you don't mind me doing such a thing.
(Basically, I want to create a Stargate SG1 type saved game that can be played as a scenario, as well as one for Stargate Atlantis)
ItchyFlea

Postby Andrew Ewanchyna » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 am

This isn't an easy thing for me as I have no knowledge of exe hack-type programs. From a programmer's perspective. I write in text and use programs to compile and link things into a machine's executable. If I think of a way, I'll let you know.
Andrew Ewanchyna
Site Admin

Postby ItchyFlea » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:12 am

I know no knowledge about hack programs either. And I know what you mean about a programmers point of view as i've done some programming myself (Visual Basic). But thank-you for letting me know. And thank-you for letting me try as well.
I highly doubt anybody else would have let me even go this far without saying stop. Not that i've ever even wanted to try this before.
ItchyFlea

Return to Starships Unlimited